Going in for laundry list of issues, is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Team_Z

Reaction score
We topped it off when we bought it CPO with 60k miles. It was low again at 65k, and we had to add 1/2 gallon on vacation at 68/69k miles.
So roughly 1/2 gallon every 5k miles?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are leaking or burning a 1/2 gallon every 5k there HAS to be evidence someplace!

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are leaking or burning a 1/2 gallon every 5k there HAS to be evidence someplace!
I would think so?! What kind of possibilities could we be looking at? Blown head gasket? Ummmmm I can't think of many other internal leaks. I specifically mentioned turbo cooling lines and the water pump, and the SA said no evidence of external leaking *at all*....yet (see below).

*******UPDATE****** Vehicle held pressure overnight without any pressure/coolant loss, SA is going to drive it home tonight to see if additional miles can locate the leak (I'm personally wondering about the water pump once it's up to temp)

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think so?! What kind of possibilities could we be looking at? Blown head gasket? Ummmmm I can't think of many other internal leaks. I specifically mentioned turbo cooling lines and the water pump, and the SA said no evidence of external leaking *at all*....yet (see below).

*******UPDATE****** Vehicle held pressure overnight without any pressure/coolant loss, SA is going to drive it home tonight to see if additional miles can locate the leak (I'm personally wondering about the water pump once it's up to temp)

When the original water pump failed on my 2015 Expedition at about 72,*** miles - it would hold pressure for quite some time.

Despite losing coolant, the dealer insisted the pressure test confirmed there was no leak and sent me on my way.

The coolant level continued to drop in the coolant reservoir jug (an inch or two a week). I returned to the dealer and insisted the vehicle be inspected at all coolant connection locations.

When the vehicle was placed on a lift, the mechanic could see evidence of leakage from the water pump. It would only leak when the engine was running. The dealer agreed to replace the water pump and that eliminated the coolant loss.

Team_Z

Reaction score

Coolant leaves a white residue behind when it dries. You stated there was also dye in the system.

I’m going to guess your selling dealer did a coolant exchange and used a wrong coolant to water ratio when refilling it using more water than required.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coolant leaves a white residue behind when it dries. You stated there was also dye in the system.

I’m going to guess your selling dealer did a coolant exchange and used a wrong coolant to water ratio when refilling it using more water than required.
No idea, they're going to have it torn down quite a ways when they do the cam phasers, so I assume they will be able to see any coolant residue then. I'm also going to make sure they install a new water pump, even if I have to pay for it.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
We really LOVE this car. It replaced a 14 Escalade that had its share of issues, but honestly my current repair list is getting long after only a year and 14k miles. We ran an oasis report on the car thru the dealer and it had never been in for warranty work before our purchase (was CPO, we added warranty on top of that). They did brakes and wheel bearings and running board motors when they certified it.

2018 Max Platinum 4WD, has Ford Premium Care to 140k miles. Bought it with 60k miles a year ago, Currently at 74k

Dealer was booked out almost a month for repairs so I scheduled it awhile ago and dropped it off last night

1) recurring coolant consumption, they checked it last fall, could not find anything, I’ve added coolant several times totaling Appx 1 gallon since then. Having to carry a gallon of coolant on our family vacation from MI to FL was pretty lame feeling LOL

2 Vehicle has a very bad surge when it’s cold and it seems to be happening almost all the time now when we drive it. We had it re-flashed for the cam phaser TSB and I’m wondering if it has something to do with that. Wastegates both rattle pretty loud, could it be play in those mechanisms causing uneven accel? We did plugs and air filter at last oil change.

3). panoramic moonroof is making grinding noises when we try to open or close it. Had to help it to get it closed last time. I read about the lift arms, hoping it’s a “simple repair” like that and not a complete sunroof track replacement.

4 Rear wiper stopped working, halfway across the lift glass

5 Power tilt steering is jammed in the lowest setting (I can hardly get my legs under the wheel

6 Passenger running board randomly won’t go up. Motor was replaced 15k miles ago on both running boards

7 Rear brake caliper sticking intermittently

8 Pass mirror does the “click” thing when changing seat memory and I wrote the TSB down for reflash.

Kind of frustrating to have a list this long of stupid stuff that’s wrong with this car when we’ve only put 14k miles on it, thankful we’ve got the extended warranty, but really hoping they can address items 1-3 and get them fixed for good.

Not sure what I’d even replace the vehicle with at this point, we spent $60k buying it and I just can’t bring myself to spend $85k buying a new one just to haul 3 kids around in….

I had my expy in to repair #1, #2, and #3.
For #1 the dealership found multiple leaks and replaced the following: thermostat housing, water pump, heater hose, and gaskets. It seemed like I was losing a gallon of coolant every week... I only noticed it because my engine temperature kept spiking up when stopped.
For #2 I had my cam phasers replaced before they started the PCM reprogram TSB... been fine since (~34k miles since replacement. Knock on wood).
For #3 my sunroof guide rails were warped and cracked. Had to be replaced on both sides.

All covered under warranty...

I also had an issue with the rear A/C only blowing warm air. I forgot all that was replaced, but it was a $3k-5k invoice to warranty. In the notes they mentioned something about contaminated coolant that affected the '18's.