Good news for once? short story on emissions error codes and such

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The struggle is real- keeping our old beasts alive vs deciding when to put 'er down...

I had 0430 0420 2272 codes on my beater- all O2, Cat, misfire issues, failed emissions, with the bonus of a broken spark plug in cylinder 8 and an exhaust leak to give the girl an impressive Blackwawk sound. Maybe a Chinook. Yep I was "that guy" driving down the block...

I figured the codes were due to the plug passing raw gas fumes through the system, messing up the sensors. Step 1 was getting the plug out. Let's see what the local guys want. 1200-1500, pull the engine, pull the head off, blah blah. Apparently they didn't want to touch it. I saw the videos of the tool kit used to extract and didn't really feel like buying it myself. For ***** and grins I called the Ford dealership. A week later they pulled it out and popped in a fresh plug for $120 (!). Had to soak it overnight, considered myself WAY lucky. OK now the exhaust and code.

I'm still thinking "warped manifold, rusted cats, etc... maybe not worth keeping" OK, local muffler shop saw the leak- a crack in a main tube, $60 to weld a patch over it. F***in' A!!! But still a check engine light, tho now sounding and driving like a smooth well-oiled 3 valve Triton should (no phaser noise, knock on wood, fwiw Mobil 1 full syth high mileage every 5k)

In all my Google-Fu and YouTubing expertise, I figure maybe run some premium though it and see if it chases the light away. And indeed it did in a couple days. I promptly high-tailed my ass to the DMV to get through inspection and renew a 2 year plate sticker. Damn it feels good to get lucky at least once.

0420 and 2272 popped up to my dismay a couple days later (but after the emissions test, so meh whatever). I ran some CataClean through it per instructions and bam, light went off. Keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to dump it and pick up another "project".
:driver: