Goodbye Excursion, Hello Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just recently lost my baby...a 2003 EB Excursion 4x4. Tried to find another one, but did not have the funds to replace her. I DID find a 1997 Expy XLT 4x4 in pretty good shape though. It's been a hassle figuring out the wiring problems, shorts, etc. But it's always good to have a winter project. Still can't figure out why the running board lights don't turn on when I open the doors while the car is running, and why my ABS, airbag, and E-brake lights stay on though.
In the spring, I'll be giving it a once-over...some Bondo, new sound system, cold cathodes, and paint for starters, so I'll upload pics of the progress.
So have fun with your tanks guys, I know I will..

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did you lose your Excursion? I wanted a 2003 Excursion but couldn't afford one and also ended up with an Expedition. It really made me mad when they stopped making the Excursion, I know they make an extended expedition now but it's just not the same.

OP
OP
I

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hit some black ice last winter doing about 40 in 4wd. Slid into a guardrail and bent the frame, lost the rear differential and shorted all the door controls. It wasn't that hard of a hit and was basically all on the right side, but it hit just right I guess. I love my expy, but I'm not used to the underpowered 4.6L, and the luxury of the EB edition/ V10 triton is just impossible to top. If you end up finding an Excursion, send me some pics!
To compensate, I just added third row seating and 4 Alpine Type S 5x8 speakers...it helps. lol.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Too bad about your Excursion. You should have looked for an Expy with a 5.4L . No underpower problems there.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome aboard..... and dont worry too much about 4.6 used to have a 97 f150 with 4.6 and 10" of lift running 38x15.5 swamper tsl radials with 4.88 gears and a detroit locker and it held its own offroading.... but speed yeah time it with a calender in the 1/4... but my new toy 99 with 5.4 and 37's is better but i dont wheel it as much and also dont have the 3rd row seat (didn't get one but have the mounts) but need the space for sub box, hunting and fishing gear, and kid stuff... but their is tons to do to an expy and I'm an example that your never done..... and if I could afford one I'd go with excursion powerstroke and 44s but not enough funds either...lol