Expedition vs excursion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghauser

Reaction score
I am fully aware that this is an expedition forum but I was hoping some folks who have experience in both vehicles could put some good input in. I’ve run into some money and plan on buying a tow behind camper and I’m looking at 7 seater SUV’s to tow it. I’m considering a 2015-2017 expedition because of the eco boost and max tow package but I’m intrigued by the excursion. Is it too much of a learning curve to get into diesels and find a 7.3 excursion or is it smart to stick with an expedition. Camper weight would be 5500 dry.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very different animals. Cherry Exursions are out there, but it would likely take a lot of hunting/traveling and if you're only pulling 5500 dry, an Expedition will be able to pull that loaded np and you'll have a lot more creature comforts while doing it.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 7.3 is a good engine, and has a hardcore fan group. Any of those you find are going to be older, and will need somewhat constant repairs and attention. Good solid 3/4 ton truck that will be very stable towing. Not a terrible daily driver either, but again, they havent been made for close to 20 years, all the electronics, hoses, seals, etc are old. Its gonna have issues to address.

EcoBoost trucks tow pretty dang well, and for the weight your looking at I'd stick with the newer platform.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As an owner of a 2002 7.3 Diesel Excursion from May 2002 until September 2014 and a current owner of a 2017 3.5 Expedition, I can speak to both vehicles extensively.

There is no doubt that the 7.3 Diesel Excursion is a much better long haul tow vehicle, both from a tow capability as well as overall capacity. In addition to being my daily driver from 2002 - 2007, it was our race car hauler during all of our ownership, pulling trailer, car, hundreds of pounds of tools and parts along with 5 people all over the east coast and mid west.

The 7.3 is essentially an indestructible engine with its only downside being the cam position sensor - easily rectified. If I could find a rust free, super low mile (less than 100K) 2002 2003 7.3, I would buy it tomorrow.

Now the other side of the coin. The last year you could get a 7.3 was 2003 (20 years) and the follow-on 6.0 diesel engine is absolute crap (major class action lawsuit against Ford and IH) so finding a good low mile, rust free example will be difficult. Also, the 7.3 engine is LOUD, not necessarily from inside the truck, but def outside, where you could not have a conversation near the truck while idling!

Our 2017 Expedition is a good tow vehicle as long as you are not towing / carrying a lot of weight. My current high tow weight is about 6300lb and the Expy handles it very well, but I'm not hauling 5 people plus 1,000lbs of tools and parts in addition to the car and trailer.

The 2017 has better non towing, around town and on the road manners, is a very comfortable truck and easily hauls lots of people and gear for long distances.

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trailer dry is 5500ish pounds and the expedition handles it just fine. Get a good WDH and set it up right and you should be good to go.

I would love a good 7.3 excursion but they are hard to find in good shape.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve owned 2 Excursions. This is my first expy

Don’t limit your search to 7.3 I know it’s the most valuable.
I had a V10 for 9 years that I was very pleased with.