Gotta breath?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an afe intake, not this exact one. But a nice one, and I think it works well. Definitely makes the turbos louder. I didn't notice any mpg gain, but a little more throttle response. I personally wouldn't waste the money on carbon fiber, you don't need to save 1lb on these.

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Thanks mucho - I’ll shop around for the one you bought (cheaper).

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the modular engines get plenty of air with the stock Motorcraft air filter. Oops, sorry, you have the ecoboost. This post is for the 4.6, 5.4, and the 6.8...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, everyone has their likes and dislikes. Having had only one turbo vehicle my whole life (an Acura I raced), I love the sound and want to hear that more than anything. AFE has a cover that can go on the filter housing, which would deaden the sound a bit but would create a little more vacuum.

The model I have is this one. I chose the oiled filter, while it requires a little maintenance, I have always had better luck with the oiled filters cleaning the air a bit better, and coming from a very arid, dry, dusty climate, that's important to me.
Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Cold Air Intake System w/Pro 5R Filter Media | aFe POWER

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you are pushing the engine to the upper end of its torque and power, you won’t realize any gains (if they exist). As noted, a more open filter will have more noise.

however, if you are doing other things to the engine, there is probably some benefit.

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Well after weighing the pros vs cons I think I better not let "perfect" get in the way of "good" here. I can just see myself opening up a bag of trouble if I install an aftermarket intake in California. I'd either have to find a friendly smog guy that will look the other way or remove the aftermarket and install the stock intake again. Then if I went with an oiled intake filter (which I had years ago on my Monte Carlo turbo) I might end up with clogged sensors.....

So I'm keeping it simple and just ordered a K&N stock filter and will move on. I have Bilston adjustable shocks coming in next week that will level me out and raise the bar by an 1". Then put on Nitto Terras to finish that project off ;-) I have a hitch in the front for a bike rack as I tow a small Lance trailer around the country camping (trailer doesn't have an easy bike rack location).

Thanks for all your input .... it's good to bounce ideas off this smart forum!

Last edited:

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found this video interesting

For those who want results quickly there is a wrap up near the end. Also, don't know if flour is a great test medium? However, strong results in this test for WIX and Purolator.