Grinding sound when turning hard left/right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chiquita

Reaction score
Our 2000 EB Expy makes this nasty grinding sound - but only when you turn hard left/right - and only when turning from a complete stop - and only when the engine is warmed up. (It doesn't make the sound right after you start it up - but rather after driving around for 20-30 minutes. Any ideas? By the way, the grinding sound actually kinda sounds like the 4x4 kicking in for a moment and then not engaging. I told my brother-in-law (who is a Ford mechanic) what was going on and he seemed to think it might be a bearing? Unfortunately we don't live near him, so he can't experience the grinding first hand.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the first question would be, is it a 4WD truck?

Those model years don;t have a 2HI option, do they? Isn't it A4WD all the time with the option to shift to 4HI or 4Lo?

If so, I would check the inflation and condition of your tires. SOunds like maybe the A4WD is trying to kick in becuase of the different wheel speeds caused by tires of different diameters.

Or the CV joint is bad.

Which side does the sound eminate from?

Doubt it is a bearing since they would make noise all the time.

bisslre

Reaction score
I have a 2001 with 45k miles and have the same problem... actually takinig it to get fixed tomarrow... they say it is the clutch packs in the rear. Stay tuned...

pchasarik

Reaction score
I'd check the cv joint on whatever side is grinding. I had the same problem on a different car once. The boot had torn, allowed dirt and sand to get inside, and ruined the bearings. Initially, it only made noise on a hard turn, but eventually got worse. Good luck.

Ugly John

Reaction score
I had this identical problem with my 2000. It sounded like marbles rattling when I took a corner.

Weird enough, it was the A/C condensation dripping onto the exhaust manifold. When the mechanic told me this, I told him he was nuts - it was definitely a mechanical sound. he let the truck warm up, then spray water on the manifold - exactly what it sounded like when driving.

Pretty dang weird.

All he had to do was add a short length of tube to guide the condensation away.