Hardwired a radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh boy. What a mess.

Spent most of Saturday hard-wiring a radar detector in my '17 EL. I have it mounted on top left of the rear-view mirror, and the power cord runs inside the headliner (alongside my dashcam), pushed in from the leading edge near the windshield, running over to the passenger A-pillar, then down inside the door seal to about level with top of the kick panel.

Had to fabricate my own tap in the fuse as the "new to me" fuse box style now uses the mini-LP fuses and the pre-fabricated taps won't work, as I found out the hard way. The fuse box design prevents conventional taps from seating fully into the fuse slot. I'll post some photos eventually.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just mounted mine just-above the wipers, center dash and use the power/silence cord to my dash mounted 12V power plug. It makes it easy to remove to install on my bike or my other car, as well as removal for trips into VA where detectors are illegal.

jeff

tim5055

Reaction score
I haven’t checked yet (no need) but Ford usually has a spare fuse and wire capped off under the dash for such installations. I just installed a dash cam in my F250 and there was a spare fuse in the box that fed a blunt end capped wire taped to the OBD2 wire.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Don't have a 2017, but the 2008 XLT does have a spare 10amp fuse position. It's the one that powers the subwoofer amp in the Limiteds and EB's. It powers a male spade connector.

OP
OP
B

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't have a 2017, but the 2008 XLT does have a spare 10amp fuse position. It's the one that powers the subwoofer amp in the Limiteds and EB's. It powers a male spade connector.
The fuses marked as "spare" in the owners manual are not switched. I wanted a 12v switched power supply. Next, I need to find a 5 volt switched source for my dashcam. The kick panel fuses are all 12v. I ended up using the 10 amp (removed in the pic) just above the 15 amp at the bottom.

20180428_221439681_iOS.jpg

Here's my setup. I thought the pic would be a lot better than this.
20180430_221956049_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WHY DO YOU HAVE A RADAR DETECTOR IN VA.? You DO know they are highly illegal and yea, your State police do have "detector-detectors" and they will make you destroy your own detector or face the ticket/fine.

jeff

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just have mine mounted temporarily on my dash. They say mount it as low as you can since the fuzz aim the radar gun at the headlights or the license plate and its more likely the detector will pick up the signal mounted as low as possible on the dash

I only use it on long trips otherwise it sits in the glove box.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Come on ...LOL......"Highly" indicates they will actively LOOK FOR YOUR DETECTOR as opposed to just nailing you for it if they happen to pull you over with it. A few years ago, my son went to the Univ of South Car so I used to ride down to see him a few times each year but I never failed to remove it prior to crossing into Va. Since they are illegal in the State, I'm just curious why someone would hardwire one in place?

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Super highly illegal" was what I was doing in WV in my SLK when the fine LEO decided he wanted to chat......he was VERY kind though......and listed the speed low enough that I could drive away, but only barely.

The cost of having fun......LOL

jeff