Has anyone installed KYB struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeZ

Reaction score
Has anyone used KYB struts on their Expy? I am looking to replace my oem struts, and read that the Monroe quick struts aren't all that. RockAuto has them for a decent price. I like the Bilsteins but they aren't in my budget. Thanks! JoeZ

TORNIT07

Reaction score
Yes. Twice. First set of KYB's were dealer installed under warranty while on vacation in Maine. That was 2012. I put just under 90,000 miles on them before I replaced them again last year, myself. The first set out performed & out lasted the OEM struts which sucked from day one as well as the second set of OEM struts that were replaced under warranty...first time at 5,000 second time at 76,000 but began failing around 55,000 which means they wore in 50,000 miles.

The KYB's installed in Maine were manufactured in USA. AWESOME struts in every way. The set I installed (Purchased from Rock Auto) were manufactured in Japan. So far, so good. I also installed new springs & strut mounts & seats.

I installed the Monroe Quick Struts on the rear about two years ago...not very impressed. Ride like crap & about worn now. I'll be replacing sooner or later.
Be careful with the springs...really hard trying to compress enough due to the KYB design makes the shaft appear/act shorter due to anti-rollover spring inside.

I ended up installing without a spring compressor. I used a floor jack under control arm & weight of vehicle to compress spring into mount/tower & bolt on. IMO it was actually safer than trying to compress the spring the usual way. There was no way for the spring to fly apart & injure/kill someone But, that's just me.

But, yes. KYB for me.