Headlights: more light please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I discovered last night when i took my first longer winter trip on the smaller roads thats the Epedition 2007 headlight performance is a joke!! My old SAAB had nearly double luminence.
I was just lucky that a moose/deer didnt cross the road...
And when I switched ordinary driving lights, well they could be misstaken for position lights :-D
The headlight alignment seems fairly ok.

Im considering a bullbar with additional hi power lights as a final solution.
But:
- Do anyone have any experience with high performance replacement halogen lamps? I dont want to mess up the reflectors due overheating for example.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anders

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Skip HIDS and the high cost of the system (Done RIGHT), and the expensive bulbs....go to the below link and educate yourself....You will also find out why your previous Euro system seem to be of higher output...

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Good reading! Im aware of the need of relays and good cable area/connections when you mount extra high beam lights. But are you suggestion that i should rewire the standard headlight circuit?

Its strange to look in to this BIG headlamp with its impressive reflectors, and know that it prouces so little light.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Good reading! Im aware of the need of relays and good cable area/connections when you mount extra high beam lights. But are you suggestion that i should rewire the standard headlight circuit?

Its strange to look in to this BIG headlamp with its impressive reflectors, and know that it produces so little light.

No, for $59 US you can get the kit MINUS the actual 12ga wire. You then add your own wire and build the relay harness. This plugs into your existing OEM harness. Done right, there is no need for cutting/splicing.

Done right, the voltage reaching the bulbs can exceed even what you Euros consider "proper" voltage. It will be noticeable.

OP
OP
Anders

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I will remove one head light lamp and measure the voltage.
Exactly what kit are you refering to... whats included? Link?

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Ok, I will remove one head light lamp and measure the voltage.
Exactly what kit are you refering to... whats included? Link?

I already gave you the link. Look on his site. He sells the kits and tells the PROPER way to check for total voltage drop. It will be more reliable, cheaper, and mean cheaper, easier to find bulbs than going HID.

OP
OP
Anders

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I already gave you the link. Look on his site. He sells the kits and tells the PROPER way to check for total voltage drop. It will be more reliable, cheaper, and mean cheaper, easier to find bulbs than going HID.
Okidoki, i will send him a mail!

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Okidoki, i will send him a mail!

Good luck! I used one of his kits on my Ford Crown Vic years ago and it was noticeably brighter. Will be getting one for my EP EL, ASAP...Read his site, it is full of very good info on lighting. He has a kit for the FOG lights as well, may want to get both and just be done with it...

OP
OP
Anders

Anders

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After some conversation with Mr Sterling, I have decided to order a bull bar and ad two big hibeam lamps. I quote:
"Compared to the European-specification headlamps you're accustomed to, the US-spec lamps are poorly focused and create a lot of upward stray light that causes back-glare in bad weather. Unfortunately, there is no European-specification headlamp for the 2007 Expedition. You will have to add appropriate extraljusar (swedish for extra lights)."

I probably go for cheaper high quality halogen lights... with broad and fairly long characteristics.
I dont drive so often off freeway in game crowded areas, but when I do I want to be prepared.

Edit: My wife won't tolerate any ugly additions, but she says she will accept these:

Attachments

• hella.jpg
    hella.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 46
Last edited: