Heavy Duty Radiator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offwego

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expy and like many others was told it had the HD towing package which it does not. I added the trans cooler and factory brake control but since I tow in the mountains have had several instances where the temp still gets too hot. Ford will only tell me that I have the standard cooling radiator CL3Z-8005 A. Has anyone swap the standard out for the HD CL3Z-8005-B? And was id a direct swap or were other parts needed?

OP
OP
O

Offwego

Reaction score
Thanks. I've searched everything I could find her and everywhere else I could think. Sometimes the F150 site has good info for us Expy owners. Learned how to program the factory brake control module there. I just ordered the HD cooling radiator and will see if it will just be a swap. If anyone is interested I will post the results.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please do share your experience...I also have an Expy WO tow package and I added what I could to make the conversion. When I investigated the supposedly HD radiator the part numbers got squirlly and I could not get a clear understanding that there really was a HD radiator or not. I suggest you check every way you are able to determine if your new part is any different from your stock radiator. Thanks!...

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please do share your experience...I also have an Expy WO tow package and I added what I could to make the conversion. When I investigated the supposedly HD radiator the part numbers got squirlly and I could not get a clear understanding that there really was a HD radiator or not. I suggest you check every way you are able to determine if your new part is any different from your stock radiator. Thanks!...
Others have confirmed in here that the HD one is thicker.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Others have confirmed in here that the HD one is thicker.
I have not read a post making that claim, please direct me...The specs indicate 1 quart more capacity, but same fin count... I am probably wrong, but for the first time in my life?...

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing that really makes me question whether the HD Tow radiator is different, is that our non-HD tow radiators have the bracket on the front already built in, just waiting for the factory trans cooler to be put on. Why would that be there if there is another physically different radiator for the HD Tow package that has the trans cooler, too. I know logic cannot always be followed when it comes to automakers/engineers, but seems questionable, at least.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
During the time of my upgrades as mentioned, I did conduct various searches, without success, regarding the HD radiator. Thanks for the assist?...