Hello from New Jersey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John650

Reaction score
Hi all:

New member here, checking in. I recently bought a 2012 Navigator L 4WD with 59k miles. It’s pearl white with the camel interior. It is one owner with a clean car fax. The car fax showed the service history and the vehicle was maintained very well with documented dealer service and oil changes every 5k miles. History also shows new tires less than 5k miles ago. I suspect that it also has new shocks and struts. I also have the Premium Care warranty from Lincoln for 6 years or 60k miles. I doubt that I will hit the mileage before the 6 years are up. I only drive about 8k a year. It is nice to know that I am covered should anything go wrong.

I spent about a year looking for what I wanted. I was limiting myself to white, camel interior with 2nd row bench seats and under 65k miles for $22k or less. When I first started I was also considering the Expedition. However, after a few test drives in both vehicles I decided that I really wanted the Navigator over the Expedition. To me the Navigator has a nicer interior and layout. I also found that the ride was better and the interior noise levels were quieter than the Ford. I was willing to sacrifice 4L and the additional 4 cup holder that the Expedition has for the Navigator. I did find some nice examples but they were not the color combo that I wanted. I knew what I wanted and did not want to “settle”. Last month one popped up on Autotrader and I pulled the trigger on it.

I am really liking the vehicle so far. Spending a lot of time getting to know all of its quirks and features. This is a big technology leap for me as I am coming out of a 1994 Ford Range & a 2000 Dodge Durango. I need to also get used to the size. It is substantially larger than both the Ford & Dodge.

The primary function is going to be vacation family hauler for me, the wife and dogs. Dogs will like watching Lassie & Benji on the rear entertainment center on the long trips. J It will also be used for some light towing with a 6x12 enclosed trailer.

There are a few things that I want to address and found the solutions to after browsing the 3,945 threads in the 3rd generation forum. They are:

1. Install a seven pin trailer connector. I found the brake control socket under the dash. It was right out in the open secured behind the ODB2 port. I also found the brake wires capped off by the 4 pin connector. Debating on whether I should run power to the trailer. I don’t really have a need for it other than the interior light. Might be easier to go with battery powered LED lights than going through the trouble of running a dedicated power wire from the front of the truck.

2. Reprogram the auto start so the vehicle does not shut off when I open the doors. I found the steps on how to do this but I am unable to locate the override switch with the LED light. I have looked under the driver side dash but cannot find it. Any ideas?

3. Find the keypad code. I did this already by getting it off the module by the fuse box on the passenger side.

4. Update the Sync software. I did this but it took a really long time and the notifications from the system were not very good. After about an hour, without notification that it was complete, I re-booted the system and all seems to be good.

5. Install air horns. A truck this size needs to announce its presence with authority. First I am going to install a Stebel air horn that I have laying around from one of my old motorcycle’s. After this fails, I will then install a Hadley air horn setup that I had on my Bronco years ago.

6. Research more about FORscan and see what else I can change on the vehicle. I would really like auto folding mirrors.

7. Program 2 spare keys for the vehicle. Going to hold off until I do some more research to see if I can have the five button key programed for the auto start. I don’t like having the separate fob for it. Anybody know if this is possible?

That’s about it for now. Looking forward to learning more about the vehicle from this forum. After browsing through and reading the threads that interested me , I found that many people have asked for help but never followed up with the outcome. This was frustrating, I promise to follow up if I ever create a help thread.

John