HELP! 5.4L spark plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brownwm

Reaction score
I have successfully changed 7 of the 8 plugs and only broke one and used the tool to remove. however, on the last plug, #8 it appears to have broke but will not come out. it turns easy like its been unthreaded but the spark plug socket will not pull it out. because its #8, I cannot see anything back there and going by feel. the other one that broke at least came out so I could use the tool to extract the remainder. has anyone had this happen where it just spins but will not pull out? any ideas?
thanks, wb

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure the first tool was able to get a good bite into the plug? I had this happen where the tool did not get a good grip on it and I just reset the tool and went a little further in.

Stanger4Life

Reaction score
You may want to try to get some sort of camera and take a pic in the area, if you see what's going on, you might be able to diagnosis the problem. Or you can find one of those snake light cameras if a cell phone or digital camera doesn't work.

I think if you could just see what's going on, then you would know what's happening. That might be your best bet.

OP
OP
B

brownwm

Reaction score
Fixed!!

what happened was the plug broke and the metal part (nut) was rotating on the ceramic so basically the plug would unscrew but would not come out. it wasn't totally broke off where it would lift out. I verified this with a series of mirrors to see down the hole. i made sure the nut was totally unscrewed and i started the car to see if it would blow the plug out. this worked! it blew the broken part of the plug out and i was able to use the extraction tool on the remainder left in the head. put the last new plug in and cleared my codes and now its running like new. no misses and running like a top. thanks for all the suggestions.

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear you were able to fix it. I felt like I could accomplish anything after I did my spark plug change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr