Help!! Dealership doesn’t know what’s wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quarterboy25

Reaction score
Little bit of background. I bought a 2018 limited last year with 175k miles on it. I know it was a lot but I got a great price and maintenance was done regularly. Fast forward to about last month, my cel came on and fordpass indicated there was a misfire. Took it to a local shop and they changed all 6 spark plugs. Trucked started driving normal for about a week and the cel came back on again with the same misfire message. Took it back to the shop and the mechanic did a complete check up including turbo and stated that I needed a new engine with labor would be about 11k. Of course, I did not do that and took back the truck. After another week, the truck was driving normally and Deja vu, the cel misfire comes on again. This time, I took it to the ford dealership. They have had it for the past 3 plus days. I talked with them today, they said they don’t know what is wrong. When the mechanic, disconnects the turbo, the truck idles and runs normally. However, when he plugs it back up, its idles rough and accelerates slowly. The dealer is still flabbergasted.

Has anybody experienced this or are aware of any possible reasons for this? I know I have been very generic with my story but that’s all I have been told and I’m not the most mechanically inclined. Thank you for reading and any suggestions are welcomed.

slow3v

Reaction score
Sounds like it might need a new turbo, but I'd take it to a different dealership to get a different diagnosis before anything. There are two turbos, which is the problem one?

Has the truck ever had phasers done?

OP
OP
Q

quarterboy25

Reaction score
Phasers have not been done to my knowledge. Could that cause the engine to misfire? They didn’t tell me anything about if which turbo could be possibly bad. Only that “the mechanic has had it in his bay for the last 3 days trying to figure it out.” I’m afraid that I might have to take it to another dealership. I just really hate having to possibly start with another dealership. I have a 3rd party extended warranty (Endurance). But they can’t possibly do anything until they are also told what’s wrong.

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you’re getting a Check Engine Light, post what Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) you get. A OBD2 code reader is required for that. If you don’t have one, I’ve used Blue Driver for years and it works great. About $100 on the Amazon. Or take it to your local parts store, they should be able to pull codes and tell you what they are.

Then post them on here. You will get much more intelligible responses.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My nav is back at the dealer. CEL came and stayed on. However, it only acts up different in eco mode, though the turbos act like their not pushing air since they put the new ones in. I feel like it needs new plugs, but dealer has yet to diagnose it. Dropped it off Monday, no call yet. I wanna take it to a local shop, but the fact that I want the dealer to take accountability for this is why I keep takin it back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

quarterboy25

Reaction score
Update—
Just heard back from the dealership a few mins ago. He said that there is low compression and that I will need a new engine. They said that they don’t know exactly what is causing the low compression without completely breaking the engine down and checking it but that would cost alone $2500. He said it would just be easier to get a new engine. Now the fight is with my warranty company because they now have to research and give a call back before they can approve or not.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting that'd revolve around the turbo being connected vs disconnected.

Curious if they told you which cylinder(s) is low and how low?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My nav is back at the dealer. CEL came and stayed on. However, it only acts up different in eco mode, though the turbos act like their not pushing air since they put the new ones in. I feel like it needs new plugs, but dealer has yet to diagnose it. Dropped it off Monday, no call yet. I wanna take it to a local shop, but the fact that I want the dealer to take accountability for this is why I keep takin it back.
Did they replace the turbo oil supply line filter like this?