Help with subs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am getting ready to upgrade the sound system in my truck and I'm going to start with sub's. I was looking at the Kicker CompR box with 2 12"s and the CX 1200.1. It's supposedly rated at 1200W rms and the subs are rated at 800W rms each. With this difference should I go with the box of 2 10"s that's rated at 600W rms each or will the 12"s be fine? I don't want them under powered too much, but the 12"s are in stock and I'd have to order the 10"s. What's everyone's luck with Kicker? I've had good luck with Kicker but it's been awhile since I've had them. Also, after doing the big 3 those of you that have added a system over 1000W, is adding a second battery a good idea or needed? Or do these all digital amps now handle power better than they used too? Is the 4Ga Kicker wiring kit going to be enough?

I know Kicker may not be the best out there but I can get an awesome deal through a buddy of mine. For the 2 12"s in the Kicker box, the Kicker CX 1200.1 amp and the Kicker wiring harness I can get for just under $500. After tax it was going to be $980 at Best Buy. So for $980 I could probably do better but being able to pick this up for under $500 am I going to be able to do much better than this? Thanks for the input

Victor

Here's what I'm looking at

Kicker CX 1200.1 amp

Kicker 2 12" CompR's in a box

Same 2 CompR but 10"

Kicker 4Ga wiring kit

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kicker is good especially for daily pounding...since youre not going for spl youre good...u don't need an extra battery unless your goal is to have higher voltage...see if the amp is able to sustain lower ohm load...is it 1200 rms at 4 ohm? 2 ohms? 1 ohms? .5 ohms? as u drop in ohms you normally get more rms power...1200 rms amp is good and they will still pound...u can always get a bigger amp...but if its able to get more power at lower ohms then u don't need a bigger amp...I just looked at the amp and you'll be fine with 1200 rms at 2 ohms...4 ga kit is good...the lower the gauge the better to maximize the current flow...I would go 0 ga if you know or think you might want more in the future...the extra battery isn't needed unless you plan on being a parking lot pimp...meaning playing with truck off...if anything...upgrade the alt...300 or 400 amp alt and you'll be set for future upgrades as well...factory alt is either 110 or 130...you don't need to now but food for thought for later...I have 18"...1800 rms amp...interior lights...underbody kit...wheel lights...tv...2 more monitors...LED strips...and all I did was upgrade my alt...but I plan on putting a system to do 5000 rms in there too...$500 system is good with amp...subs...box...wiring...who's doing the install? I would also check ebay and other electronic sources...you find some good deals out there as well...only buy from companies on ebay...check with kicker for authorized dealers for warranty and stuff...but if he has a shop then do that!!!

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, get a Oga kit not a 4. 4 is "enough" but why make the amp work harder?

For the subs, they are very similar. For me what it would come down to is enclosure size.

Sealed
CompR10 0.8-3 cu/f each
CompR12 1-4.6 cu/f each

Ported
CompR10 1.25-1.75 cu/f each
CompR12 1.75-2.25 cu/f each

The ported boxes do very well but the subs are kinda finicky with the port itself and they have similar recommendations for typical port sizing. That said, if your doing a ready made enclosure it should work just fine.

Also make sure if your doing this combo (2 Subs and amp) to get the 4 Ohm DVC (dual voice coil) subs if you get the 2 Ohm DVCs you wont be able to wire the subs correctly. That amp can only go down to a 2 Ohm load.