Hidden or cool features about our Expeditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another one, at least for the 2012 EL XLT - when the reverse sensors go off you can temporarily silence them by pressing the Reset button on the dash. Once you do that you'll also have the option of disabling it permanently. This could come in handy when backing a trailer up.

It does. They will stay off until you hit the reset button or turn the truck off and restart it.

crucialstang11s

Reaction score
check engine light on but no codes?!

I followed instructions and got to the "dtc" screen but no codes came up. The check engine light is on and at low idles it runs rough. It has hesitation. It feels fine as the speed increase and has no problem till its going slow right before I am stopping. It began by flashing for a few hours then was on constantly for a day then went off for a day and half. Just cam back on constantly again. Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20140512_151143.jpg
    20140512_151143.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 145

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A factoid for newer Expeditions.

All Expeditions from 2007-onward have SoundScreen windshields from Carlite. SoundScreen windshields use "acoustic glass" for sound deadening, meaning it helps absorb and deflect unwanted outside noise before it gets a chance to enter the cabin where the occupants are.

Usually "SoundScreen" is printed somewhere on the bottom of the windshield, near the drivers side.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I followed instructions and got to the "dtc" screen but no codes came up. The check engine light is on and at low idles it runs rough. It has hesitation. It feels fine as the speed increase and has no problem till its going slow right before I am stopping. It began by flashing for a few hours then was on constantly for a day then went off for a day and half. Just cam back on constantly again. Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks.

Flashing usually means misfire. Have it scanned. There might be a hard code set.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about my 03 is that with the door ajar indication you can rule out the rear glass by turning the key to run and have the radio on then turn the key to off. If the radio stays on it's the rear glass. The button gets pressed while in my pocket from time to time.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've also noticed that the low brake fluid sensor lets you know you need to change your brake pads. Once the pads wear down most of the way (as long as they wear mostly even) they will trip the low brake fluid level switch letting you know to replace the pads. At least that holds true for the wife's Durango, but I'd imagine it works for multiple makes.

Last edited:

gordizmom

Reaction score
This is a cool idea!

You might want to include the year and maybe model because much of what you listed doesn't apply to mine. :)

I doubt that any of this applies to mine either. I have a 2000. It's good to know 'hidden' things about our vehicles though.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A factoid for newer Expeditions.

All Expeditions from 2007-onward have SoundScreen windshields from Carlite. SoundScreen windshields use "acoustic glass" for sound deadening, meaning it helps absorb and deflect unwanted outside noise before it gets a chance to enter the cabin where the occupants are.

Usually "SoundScreen" is printed somewhere on the bottom of the windshield, near the drivers side.

I wonder if they make that for an 05 as a replacement.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if they make that for an 05 as a replacement.

That's a great question. My understanding is the glass is thicker all around. Not sure by how much, or if it will fit in a vehicle not specifically designed for it. I can tell you, though, the later models are about as quiet going down the road as I've experience in more exotic vehicles. It's worth looking in to.

DVandy

Reaction score
Bezel Diagnostics Configuration Status settings

In the Bezel Diagnostics screen - Might anyone have the proper "Configuration Status" settings as they should appear on the factory NAV for a 2007 Expedition (with subwoofer)? I recently purchased this vehicle and hope to have it a long time!

I've replaced my NAV unit with the same model (my original screen went out), but on the new one it doesn't seem to have the same amount of volume gain or punch. Plus the DSP seems to make no difference, yet on my original one DSP made A LOT of difference. I'm thinking there may be something that's not enabled that should be.

Thanks for any insight!