High Capacity Bike Racks? Bike racks in general.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I saw @byathread has a LOLO 6 bike rack and got me thinking what others are using for carrying lots of bikes at once. I mean these things fit 8 people so you could have a need to carry your bike plus 7 buddy's bikes too.

My current setup is a Thule 4 bike tray rack with 4 bikes. A yakima front loader on the roof. A 16" wheel bike in the back with the helmets and gear. Not ideal and child number 5 is a couple years away from riding but eventually we will be at 7 bikes.

My setup works but the rack usually lives on my jeep in the 2 bike setup. So when a family ride comes up it is a bit of a chore to swap the rack to the expy, add the extension, put the roof rack on, and then load everything up. Getting a bike to the roof isn't the easiest. I have a small werner paint work platform I throw in to help me get high enough to do the roof bike.

I had been looking at the Recon Racks 6 bike rack. The LOLO looks super interesting. Curious what you all are doing for bike carrying. Really curious about those who have used the LOLO rack.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4 kids, but the two youngest are still on 8" bikes, which are plenty easy to just throw in the back of my Max. As 4 bikes is enough for now, I'm using a Thule T2 XT Pro with the 2 bike extension. The 2 bike extension is essentially a permanent attachment. The rack mostly lives on the back of our travel trailer, but sees some duty on the back of the Expedition. At ~100lbs it is a bit of a chore to move between vehicles.

Pros: I can move it between vehicles, it's compatible with 20" wheels, it's compatible with our full carbon road bikes, I can use the same key for it and the kayak racks. And I really like that the cable locks are long enough that I can use them to lock up the bikes without having to load the bikes on the rack (this is really helpful when we're out camping).

Cons: (Other than price and weight and not formally being TT rated) The only thing I really don't like about it is that while it's a no-frame contact design, the ratchet arms have a tendency to walk and end up in contact with the front brakes on the bikes. Fortunately, the arms are coated in a relatively soft rubber so it doesn't damage the bikes, but it is causing pre-mature wear on the arms...

When the time comes to haul 6 bikes, the alternative to a 6 bike rack would be to have a front mounted receiver installed on the Expedition...

Adam Huskins

Reaction score
I’m in the market for a rack and have been considering the Yakima FourTimer. Then, I saw this and am curious how it would fit on the Expy??

39d4af03e9db6d31bb01db85d1e96afb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only negative I have heard about that yakima is that it doesn't do anything but fullsize mountain bikes. Not good for kids bikes or anything other than mountain bikes with front suspension. That may or may not be something to consider.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a rack and have been considering the Yakima FourTimer. Then, I saw this and am curious how it would fit on the Expy??

My $0.02 - Hangover and Recon don't allow the rear window to open without lowering the whole connected assembly. The Lolo does this tilting business as well, but, a bit awkward regardless of what monster rack being used as you'll need to get the pin back in once it's upright again...with all the bikes on it. The Recon redesign looks like it might be OK/handier for that tilt, but, wasn't an option when I got the LOLO. Also, I can't imagine what that sucker weighs with those wheel baskets! A wife/kid/buddy to help tilt down if you have to do it, but, then it's just another thing to do... I went with the Lolo as I needed something to go on the camper and something for my family of six (kids 4, 6, 8, 11) that'd be relatively future proof. Bonus with the Lolo is in standard/recommended position (leaning slightly toward vehicle) I can open and reach in the rear window and grab stuff out of the back (helmets/bags/etc.). Wasn't sure if I'd be able to, but, in looking at the other options, it isn't happening on them without tilting down.
Anyway, I liked this option the best for a number of reasons; Made in USA, weight, having shorter family members lift their own bikes up to the rack when they are tall enough, the fact that there is a plane that doesn't get crossed that is away from my paint on the Expy and gel coat on Camper, etc.
I have had to move some controls slightly on certain bikes to avoid stress on cables, but, now that they are moved, loading up is a breeze/simple.

Adam Huskins

Reaction score
My $0.02 - Hangover and Recon don't allow the rear window to open without lowering the whole connected assembly. The Lolo does this tilting business as well, but, a bit awkward regardless of what monster rack being used as you'll need to get the pin back in once it's upright again...with all the bikes on it. The Recon redesign looks like it might be OK/handier for that tilt, but, wasn't an option when I got the LOLO. Also, I can't imagine what that sucker weighs with those wheel baskets! A wife/kid/buddy to help tilt down if you have to do it, but, then it's just another thing to do... I went with the Lolo as I needed something to go on the camper and something for my family of six (kids 4, 6, 8, 11) that'd be relatively future proof. Bonus with the Lolo is in standard/recommended position (leaning slightly toward vehicle) I can open and reach in the rear window and grab stuff out of the back (helmets/bags/etc.). Wasn't sure if I'd be able to, but, in looking at the other options, it isn't happening on them without tilting down.
Anyway, I liked this option the best for a number of reasons; Made in USA, weight, having shorter family members lift their own bikes up to the rack when they are tall enough, the fact that there is a plane that doesn't get crossed that is away from my paint on the Expy and gel coat on Camper, etc.
I have had to move some controls slightly on certain bikes to avoid stress on cables, but, now that they are moved, loading up is a breeze/simple.

Can you open the tailgate with bikes on/removed with the Lolo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you open the tailgate with bikes on/removed with the Lolo?

If you mean the main hatch on the expy, yes you can open it if you tilt the whole assembly down (bikes on or not). If you mean a pickup truck tailgate, I'm not really sure... It'd be close or wouldn't open all the way I'd think, depending which angle position you have the rack. There are 3 positions on the Lolo: 1 steep angle toward the vehicle, 1 slightly toward the vehicle (that's how I have mine) and 1 dead vertical.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
8 bikes? Use a trailer. Set up a small utility trailer with fork mounts for the adults and whatever works for the kids.

That being said, I ride every day, but it's usually just me. Then I just put it in the back with the sets all down. I have a three bike hitch rack when I need more.