1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much can I really tow safely

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by jkayca, Apr 17, 2021.

1. DSF1

DSF1 Member

And we comfortably tow all summer long with our 2011 hauling a 9000# passport elite 34MB.
    Our first and only upgrade was the Hensley Arrow with HD bars. My problem now is ensuring that I watch my speed. It tows so effortlessly and smoothly under all condotions that you need to remind yourself that speed is your enemy if things go sideways. Apart from that , the expedition is one of the best large SUVs for towing that money can buy. IMHO, obviously.
    I'd love to have the extra oomph you EcoBoost boys have, but that's just gravy.

HawkX66 likes this.
  2. jkayca

jkayca Full Access Members

3. CaptOchs

CaptOchs Full Access Members

I know 2015-17 Limited Expys came with HD Tow. Anything less than a limited most likely didn't have HD tow. Not so sure about 2018+ because I didn't look into those when I was searching. The ultimate tow rig in those years was a Limited EL. Then you got the 3.73 gears for sure. The larger wheelbase helped for longer trailers too.

2015-EL-Limited likes this.
  4. LG_123

LG_123 Full Access Members

A weight distribution hitch is a must but towing weight limits are just guidelines. We towed our 9,000 lb airstream with a Ford Flex before we got the expedition.

5. Moose McClatchie

Moose McClatchie Member

The other thing I did besides a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) is change the tires to a LT instead of a P rating the stiffer sidewall really does help with the stability of these rigs while toeing they like to sway, dance, shimmy. Not death wobble but a slight back and forth.

6. Moose McClatchie

Moose McClatchie Member

If it has a tow button and the 7 pin plug then it has the HD Tow Package.

7. JasonH

JasonH Full Access Members

The EL Limited HD Tow 4x2 models came with 3.31, not 3.73. Only the 4x4 came with the 3.73 gears.

LokiWolf likes this.
  8. haviland

haviland Full Access Members

My '17 Limited has the tow package. Boat and trailer go about 8k. I tow that locally.

When I tow at highway speeds I put on the WDH unit.

9. CowboyPilot79

CowboyPilot79 New Member

We pulled a 10k# 35' travel trailer with our '09 (yeah over gross I know, save the lectures). You could tell it was back there but as long as it wasn't super hilly or crazy winds it would go 75 easily (I didn't, but it would). You have to have the WDH though, not an option. We used a husky centerline and a tekonsha brake controller and it was almost as good as the fifth wheel I used to pull. Didn't come with the 7 way or transmission cooler but both were an easy Saturday morning project and I took it to a dealer for a fluid exchange after I installed the cooler to make sure the quantities were right (since I added some volume).

We have an ecoboost now but sold the trailer, I can't even imagine how much better this one would have been though.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

HawkX66 likes this.
  10. HawkX66

HawkX66 Semper Fi!

Setup correctly, the Expy tows beautifully. My 17 with the Ecoboost tows much better than my 07 with the 5.4l. It did tow nicely though.

IMG_20201127_150505.jpg

20180605_144736.jpg
    20180605_144839.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021