How To Replace Contol Arm Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarchlewicz

Reaction score
Hi all. It started as a simple quest to replace worn shocks... easy right? Then I decided to order an Energy Suspension upper and lower control arm bushing set after noticing my bushings were worn. What have I gotten myself into? :eek: Removing the old bushings was a *****. But they're gone. I drilled out the old rubber, used my new shop press to help, and torched out the rest. They're all cleaned up ready for the new bushings.

Uppers went right in. Then onto the lowers. I tried to use a C-Clamp to install the lower control arm bushings. The bushings compress and slip off to the side. Impossible for me to do it like that. I removed the torsion bar keys (With the help of my cheap air hammer) and got the control arms out with the torsion bars still pressed into the arms. I beat one torsion bar out and am trying to get the other out. I'm gonna take it to my buddy's (A Chevy/ GM Mechanic) shop to use his industrial grade air hammer to get it out. Once I get the other torsion bar out, it's time to press the bushings into the lower arms.

I bought a 12 ton shop press from Harbor Freight. So, question is, how do I press in the lower control arm bushings? Do I need a special adapter/ tool? I've been contemplating making a tool. Maybe I'm best off taking it to Ford.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated! Thanks!

Gary

'99 Expedition, 5.4L, 4x4