Replace front lower control arm bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bako06Navi

Reaction score
Hi All!

Yes I am aware that this is Expedition forum but there is almost no info on Navigators out there and I know the front suspension parts are interchangeable between 2nd Gen Expedition and Navi so I thought I’d post here.

Working on new to me 2006 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate 4wd w/air suspension. Have all the parts to rebuild front lower control arms and have removed old ball joints and bushings from arms using long threaded 5/8” rods and ball joint press receiving cups. I own a real press but the arms will not fit in it.

Can’t figure out what tool (adapter?) to use to press in the bushings. My normal sleeves will not fit over top of bushing because of the rubber bumpers shown in picts. Am a mechanic and have done tons of bushings before with no problems but this one has me scratching my head, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Tried one and damaged the bushing...arrrrgggg

Attachments

• 2A83D8B0-6FE2-42CB-8C7A-37B232C2E33A.jpeg
    2A83D8B0-6FE2-42CB-8C7A-37B232C2E33A.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 4BF43A71-6089-48EA-BC94-4F9E0CDA2CEC.jpeg
    4BF43A71-6089-48EA-BC94-4F9E0CDA2CEC.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 3D45BE86-FF18-4B3C-814D-ECDA7B9B1C8E.jpeg
    3D45BE86-FF18-4B3C-814D-ECDA7B9B1C8E.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 11

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries about it being a Navi, same thing basically. I gave up on my quest when I decided I had to make a tool to fit between the rubber stubs on the bushings. I couldn't find a single shop willing to even try pressing them in, their fear was the aluminum cracking. I ended up buying replacement arms, TRM brand. I still have new bushings on the shelf as a result. Sorry I don't have better news, maybe someone else here will come along with something miraculous.

OP
OP
B

Bako06Navi

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that was the conclusion I came to, tool would have to fit between bumpers to put force on correct area not to distort the bushing like I did.

If I owned a machine shop I’m sure I could fabricate something to do the job but not worth the effort at this point. I even called Moog and they were less than helpful. Too bad their replacement arms are the cruddy RK stuff that wears out quick.

Very easy to pull most bushings that you can’t get with a big hydraulic press with grade 8 threaded rod or long bolts , washers, nuts, and ball joint c press receiving tubes or adapters made from steel electrical conduit, I do it all the time and most of the time I can install the new ones the same way in a really big hurry.

Did the knuckle ones in rear top and bottom on the car (without removing control arms) that way in less than an hour a side for both including removing the old ones.

The really irritating thing is that a number of companies make the replacement bushings yet no one makes a tool to install them.

How can these companies (at least 5 different manufacturers) afford to keep manufacturing them if no one buys them or everyone returns them after realizing they cant install them?

Things like this grate on my soul...

Thanks again for replying, have a nice day!

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I absolutely agree. I wonder how many of us have been suckered into buying a shelf ornament since we can't install the bushings. It totally sucks to needlessly replace a big chunk of metal when a different bushing design would eliminate the need for arm replacement.

Great idea for the rear knuckle bushings. Thanks for the info on the ball joint press.

Bill Wade

Reaction score
You might try freezing the new bushings. This will stiffen and shrink the rubber, and slightly shrink the aluminum casting. I would only do this if all else fails as there is always a chance of damaging the rubber, although these vehicles operate in environments much colder than your freezer gets.

If you try this, you must go straight from the freezer to the press as the less dense material will warm rapidly.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All!

Yes I am aware that this is Expedition forum but there is almost no info on Navigators out there and I know the front suspension parts are interchangeable between 2nd Gen Expedition and Navi so I thought I’d post here.

Working on new to me 2006 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate 4wd w/air suspension. Have all the parts to rebuild front lower control arms and have removed old ball joints and bushings from arms using long threaded 5/8” rods and ball joint press receiving cups. I own a real press but the arms will not fit in it.

Can’t figure out what tool (adapter?) to use to press in the bushings. My normal sleeves will not fit over top of bushing because of the rubber bumpers shown in picts. Am a mechanic and have done tons of bushings before with no problems but this one has me scratching my head, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Tried one and damaged the bushing...arrrrgggg
The only thing I have seen that comes close is this. It is made for Toyotas, but I wonder if they would work for the Expedition/Navigator LCAs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire