How to restore your plastic headlight lens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this a basically simply how to bring your plastic headlights back to new condition and get the light output back and make your night time driving more safe

products needed

sand paper
400 grit
1000 grit
2000 grit
3000 grit
spray bottle with water and a few drops of liquid soap
a few towels (i like the micro fiber ones)
non ammonia glass cleaner
a buffing pad
cordless or electric drill or buffer
hard plastic polish ( i like 3M but Mcquires makes some as well)

before you start soak the sand paper in water for at least 15 minutes

spray the lens with the soapy water and start sanding by hand with the 400 grit, dipping the sand paper every so often to keep it from loading up, with the 400 grit you want to keep sanding keeping the surface wet with the spray bottle until the residue goes from yellowish to white. then whipe it off and the lens should have a uniform cloudiness to it, if it don't continue to sand until this happens.

now you step to the 1000 grit (be sure to soak all sand paper for atleast 15 minutes before using). you want to sand the lens keeping it wet with the spray bottle, then wiping off looking for a uniform and as the grit gets higher the lens will become more and more clear, so repeat for the 2000 and 3000 grit.

ok now you will want to clean the lens with the glass cleaner to make it as clean as possible

for the next step if you are using an electric or cordless drill make sure to keep it slow so you don't burn the plastic and have to replace the headlight, keep it slow and use lots of polish.

polish the lens as per directions on the polish and repeat until a clean clear lens is the result..

the polish i used was $9 and the buffing pad for the drill was $10 i got both from napa..

i know there is more involved than the 5 minute kits you can buy but from experience the way i have explained here will last longer with better results.

now that you have your lens clean, every 3-4 months use a hard plastic cleaner and polish to keep them looking great.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we see the write up...but uhm...before/after pics? thx...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
On the factory headlights, all I use is some 3M Perfect-It III and some car wax. The 3M stuff is a liquid 1500 grit polishing compound and that will remove the oxidation and then you put a coat of wax on the plastic to seal the plastic from the UV rays. Much easier in my opinion. Now the lenses on my Jag, not so easy as they are actually glass with a coating on the glass that you need to remove. So, that requires the above procedure to be done to them. Granted, instead of the polishing wheel, I restored the clear coating using some clear from a left over paint project. What can I say, I like doing things a little differently.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also have a kit from 3M that comes with drill attachment and polish. Works pretty well from what I hear, and it's around 20 bucks.

Reaction score
Before trying all of this try using tooth paste and some elbow grease.

I know you think I'm being stupid, but try it before you knock it.

BTW don't use a gel.

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
toothpaste also works on pimples while you are at it.....

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toothpaste also fixes scratched CD's and can be used as thermal grease for CPU heat-sinks.