Ignition coil bolt just spins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
cut the bolt with a dremel cut off wheel once the coil is out of the way you can deal with whats left easier
If you go this route break off the coil pack totally and remove to give you more room to work.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If it's spinning there are no threads left, unless there's a steel insert in the head, which I doubt. Just yank that sucker out with a short prybar or something. You have to get on it. Or, as Yupster says, but the coil off so you can get at it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those coils can be tough, on my last Expedition cylinder #8 had a misfire so it was at the mechanic. It was the coil. Little did I know they lost the original bolt and forced and cross threaded some oddball bolt in the head. When I went to change plugs the bolt snapped right off. They could not retrieve it after hours of work so they fabricated a bracket that held the coil down fastened to the intake manifold. Was a bent piece of metal with foam wrapped around it to hold pressure on it.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those coils don't need much to keep them in place. Also I would try the "pull and twist" method it you haven't