Ignition coil bolt just spins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sswanzyy

Reaction score
Bought a used 2015 Expedition. Had check engine light for cylinder #4 misfire. Changed out the coil and it was still tripping so I did the spark plug and now much better full throttle response. However, now tripping a cylinder #2 misfire.

Looks like someone already replaced the coil with an Autozone Duralast. Was going to check the plug, but the bolt that holds the coil in place just spins. Guessing they over torqued it. Looking for suggestions on how to get the coil out.

Hoping I can make it home as-is to Utah from Tennessee and then change all the coils and plugs. Drives great if I'm not on full throttle boost.

Attached a photo of the spark plug from #4.

65BEBD5B-308D-466D-907A-B94FF2C8B034.jpeg

Plati

Reaction score
I never had that with a COP bolt ... but some others, especially screws. I'll try to grasp the head with pliers and pull out/spin to get it started in remaining threads. Sometimes I'll wedge a screwdriver (or chislel) under the head pressing it out --- and turn trying to get it to catch threads. Or a combination of the two.

OP
OP
S

Sswanzyy

Reaction score
Worth a shot. Thanks for the reply.

I'm inclined to think that the material around the "nut" broke loose. Spinning maybe wrong word. It's hard to turn with a hand driver and the whole coil top moves to the side and back to center as I turn the bolt.

I'll try the pry up with screwdriver method and cross my fingers. Otherwise I'm thinking I'll have to drill off the head, but then how do I fix that? ‍♂️

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Don't even think of replacing those coils with another set of $12 China Duradragon ones. THat junk will just give more endless problems.

OP
OP
S

Sswanzyy

Reaction score
I still can't get this coil out. Tried the vice-grips and tried getting a screwdriver under the bolt head while using a 20volt impact driver.

Only thing I can think of now it to drill off the head, but it's not a straight shot at the head so I'm not sure how to do that.

Once I figure it out then I'm not sure how to fix the broken bolt threads other than replace the whole plastic valve cover. They look inexpensive, under $100. Looks like a PIA project though in this tight engine compartment.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still can't get this coil out. Tried the vice-grips and tried getting a screwdriver under the bolt head while using a 20volt impact driver.

Only thing I can think of now it to drill off the head, but it's not a straight shot at the head so I'm not sure how to do that.

Once I figure it out then I'm not sure how to fix the broken bolt threads other than replace the whole plastic valve cover. They look inexpensive, under $100. Looks like a PIA project though in this tight engine compartment.
Have someone pull hard as you turn. Those coils don't need to be well secured, just put a little bigger screw in when you get that one out.