Ignition Coil Pack Bolts - WTH SIZE ARE THEY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlyoung1

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what size wrench I need to remove the coil packs from my 4.6L 2003? These things are starting to piss me off. The bolt head is bigger than 6mm, way smaller than 8mm, and 1/4" is just a hair too small as well. Is there a special tool? I actually put a caliper on the one that I got out with an 8mm, and it looked to be 6.5mm - ish?

OP
OP
D

dlyoung1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I feel kinda' stupid that I simply didn't notice I had a couple of fairly rounded bolts on the front two packs of Bank One. Took some persuading with a ball peen to loosen them, but we're good now.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

dlyoung1

Reaction score
Thanks, @Hamfisted! When I put things back together, I was thinking about finding Grade 8 bolts to reinstall. Those two back ones are too hard to reach to be f-ing around with them!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, @Hamfisted! When I put things back together, I was thinking about finding Grade 8 bolts to reinstall. Those two back ones are too hard to reach to be f-ing around with them!

I'd just recommend the stock bolts with a little anti-seize on 'em and just light torque. I think people over torque 'em. The stock bolt is a flange bolt, so you don't have to mess with a washer while you're trying to reassemble everything. I always remove the ECU and it's bracket when I'm working on the passenger side sparkplugs or coils. Just gotta make some room. 7mm flex head wrench comes in real handy too.