Ignition coils stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wstcoaster07

Reaction score
I have a 2017 expedition EL XLT with 55k miles on it. I was trying to do the spark plugs today and everything was going great up until trying to remove the ignition coils. They wont budge... I cant twist more than 10-20 degrees since they are recessed in to the casing (thanks ford). I've sprayed pb blaster and wd40 down the sides but no luck. Not intelligent, I know, but I pulled one off to test it with visegrips and as expected the ignition coil came out but the boot stayed on the spark plug. I believe all of the boots are stuck to the plugs. I cant get a single one off minus the one I used vise grips on.

Any ideas short of having to pay ford to do it?

I have done plugs before just not on this expedition.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I think your choices are limited. You have to yank the coils off the boots and then put some oil or something in the boots and let it soak to release them from the plugs. Then replace all the crap including any coils that fall to pieces. I don't see any other way anyone's going to do it.

I'm sure you've tried gripping a Vice-grip on the coil (wrap it with tape or something) and pulling,stretching while wiggling the heck out of the mess? No way to get under the coil and pry?

You know that's what the dealer's going to do. He'll just charge you for what he breaks.

OP
OP
W

wstcoaster07

Reaction score
Yeah, sadly I think that's the answer. I am just going to bring it to ford and let them monkey with it. Unfortunately I had the time to do a normal spark plug change but not the time to spend 30min plus per plug. Pretty annoyed I'm I'm this situation with only 55k on the car and now knowing I have to pay someone 250 for something I've done on every other car I've owned without issue. On the plus side the dealer said they would use the ford parts (plugs and boots) I bought since they are motor craft. I pre greased the new boots with dielectric grease to ensure they come off easier next time... hopefully.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem. First 4 I did were a ***** to work loose but eventually they gave. The last two, just the coils came off and couldn't get the bottom boots off. Had to use a long needle nose pliers to pull the boots out. Of course they tore so I had to take an air hose and blow out the holes before pulling the plugs. Luckily I was able to get my head in there good to inspect for debris before pulling the plugs. I had put plenty of dielectric grease on to hopefully prevent the same thing again.

OP
OP
W

wstcoaster07

Reaction score
I had the same problem. First 4 I did were a ***** to work loose but eventually they gave. The last two, just the coils came off and couldn't get the bottom boots off. Had to use a long needle nose pliers to pull the boots out. Of course they tore so I had to take an air hose and blow out the holes before pulling the plugs. Luckily I was able to get my head in there good to inspect for debris before pulling the plugs. I had put plenty of dielectric grease on to hopefully prevent the same thing again.

By "a ***** to work loose" what did you do? Just spray some sort of lubricant down the sides and keep wiggling? I spent a good 15-20 minutes on each of the front 4 plugs (didnt spend as much time on the back 2) and didnt get a single one off minus the one I basically ripped out with visegrips. I was wearing work gloves and had a pretty good grip but no luck. It would pull out maybe 1/8 of an inch and just not break away from the plug.
Think once I pay ford to replace them I should pull them apart when I get home and load up the boots with dielectric grease to prevent this next time or do you think ford will lubricate them?
Cant believe a 55k mi car can have this tough of boots to come off.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the '17, all you have to do is to break the vac seal formed just under the coil by heat/cool cycles and a nice soft rubber seal...............a blade under the lip of that seal pried up will make them easy to remove.....go to Rock auto and look at one, you can see how it would seal over time...

Did mine a couple weeks ago...there are pics somewhere here....

jeff

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a pry tool as well after fighting with mine. Still lost a boot on a plug, but was able to get it out with a super long needle nose, albeit ripped up. Did my plugs at about the same mileage as you. I’d try again before paying the dealer to mess with it.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm referring to these.....there is hardly any resistance at the plug...it's all at the upper seal & the cover. You need to break that deal all around as much as you can first. If you are sharp enough to do these, you got it....you just didn't know the "trick". Stay cool and don't get stupid with it and you'll save yourself some bucks. I joke to myself when I begin to "get twitchy"....trust me, it helps!

I used to have issues with removing the boot on my 5.4's but these really aren't anything like them, once you figure out the secret.....also, pre-spraying around the seal with silicone may have helped as well as starting and warming the engine first a bit.

jeff

UF-646_Front__ra_p.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I changed the original spark plugs at 45,*** miles in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, the six coil boots were VERY difficult to remove. I spent hours removing them, but was fortunate not to break any of them. I used a small, plastic trim stick to get under the upper seal of the coil. That helped removal.

Before reinstalling them, I used silicone dielectric grease on the plug end, and liberally coated the upper seal on each coil.

Ford has a poor design in these coils - as I have talked to others that had the same problem removing the coils with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine in the Expeditions.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to "break the seal" and could tell when that happened but they were still stuck good where the lower boot actually seats around the plug. After breaking the seal, working them back and forth helped a lot on 4 of them.