Is it normal A/C performance ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mubarakma

Mubarakma

Reaction score
Are you using max ac or recirculated mode? Rather than cooling 122F air all the time, the air temp being returned to the system will steadily drop, assuming no windows or sunroof open.

Getting 78F drop is impressive.

I'd say it's fine. The comparison with the older car doesn't work as it may simply have a larger AC capacity because they didn't design cars to be as energy efficient as possible back then. It would be like 2 of the same size condos, one has a 3 ton AC unit the other a 5 ton. The 3 Ton will be the most efficient as it will meet load 85% of the time. The 5 ton will use more power during those lower load times but work best the 15% of the time when the OA temp is above 90F. The higher the OA temp goes the 3 ton will not keep it as cool. If 3 tons works 85% of the time, it'll be chosen for max energy efficiency.

I'm sure you got the basics down, if not I find this guy informative:
Thank you very much but for me I beleive that my car A/C is not normal + summer just start I will compare it with Expedition sold locally here by Ford dealer that have GCC country spec almost I doubt the radiator and condenser but till now not sure .
Thank you very much

OP
OP
Mubarakma

Mubarakma

Reaction score
Especially the Condenser.....they are nearly always filled with bugs, sand(which you have a fair bit of) and other debris and they are sized per specific use so keeping it at full capability is paramount. Check and you'll prob see it blocked.....high pressure hose works well, specialized solutions work better.....have a little fun....run the AC on full for 10 minutes, check temps...now watch the temps as someone pours a pitcher of water over the condenser coil.....

LOL....that's why you need to keep it clean so it can shed the highest amount of latent heat possible!

jeff
Thank you very much
I consider what you advice
Will start working on it tomorrow
Regards.

OP
OP
Mubarakma

Mubarakma

Reaction score

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was 110°f (43c) where I live yesterday and I have a very similar situation.

When I purchased the expedition I was expecting the AC performance to blow my 20 year old Honda out of the water. . . . Shocker, it does not. . .

Looking at the 2 vehicles there are several differences that I would bet make a rather big difference in performance.

First my Honda has 2 electric fans that kick on high as soon as you turn on the AC. The interior of the Honda is MUCH smaller with a lot less ducting to get the air where it needs to go. It has no rear AC.

The Expedition has a electronically operated viscous fan clutch, it will only ever spin as fast as the motor turns it, and my expedition idles close to 500rpm in gear. The PCM will only ever command 100% lockup under certain conditions, those conditions are rather extreme in my opinion and if you do manage to get there you might have other issues. Coolant temp: >260°F, AC high pressure: >240psi, trans temp: >300°F, all other conditions will command less than 100% fan speed. So removing the heat from the condenser might not be as efficient as an electric fan setup. But once you start moving and get a little RPM they generally work better. I'm sure mine needs to be replaced and I might add aux fans to help cool the AC in the summer months, but we only get to around 117°f (47c) a few weeks a year out where we live.

The explorer your friend has is equipped with electric fans, with both vehicles idling AC on how loud is the explorer compared to the expedition fan noise wise. I never really did like mechanical fans because at a dead idle factory electric fans generally have superior cooling ability. However as soon as you get a little RPM into the motor the mechanical fan will outperform an electric every time. If you cant get the temps to drop any lower while traveling at a consistent pace then you might have other issues.

If there is no change with a constant drive there are several issues that could be the cause. There are various barriers and shrouds to direct the most amount of air across the condenser and radiator, if those have been removed or are missing your cooling performance could suffer.

Other issues that might have already bee mentioned.
*Weak AC Compressor
*Blend Doors
*Faulty Thermostatic Expansion valve (TXV)
*Low refrigerant
*Clogged Condenser
*Poor airflow across the condenser
*failing Cooling fan not drawing enough air across the condenser.

The shop who looked at your truck should be able to tell if you were low on refrigerant and if the TXV or compressor are good from the pressure differential.

I wonder what other people are getting for vent temps in similar climates.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2010 Expedition will have dual electric fans no clutch. Only 07-09’ Expeditions have clutched fans. I’ve noticed no difference in cooling performance between the two.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much just today I made a test with my cousin Explorer 2008 Limited also it's black on black there was really a huge different between his car and mine I will dig more with one guy his car is GCC spec maybe my car designed for Canada spec because of that any way I will not conclude anything right now but next step is cleaning the radiator and change the coolant after that I will compare it with Expedition with GCC spec
There is one more point is it possible that blind door actuator will create such thing .
I will first clean the radiator then I will see what is next .

My AC was performing pretty poorly when I bought my truck in 2015. My AC guy checked everything and everything was within spec, including the coolant and the thermostat. Nonetheless, I changed the coolant as it was original and changed the tstat while I was in there (replaced with a Stant SuperStat rather than the Motorcraft as the replacement MC was super light and flimsy compared to the OEM). AC blows ice cold ever since. You may have no change whatsoever, but it's not going to hurt anything to do them.

Re the blend door actuator, you will hear it clicking if it's worn out.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2010 Expedition will have dual electric fans no clutch. Only 07-09’ Expeditions have clutched fans. I’ve noticed no difference in cooling performance between the two.

Well there goes that theory. . . lol, way to ruin my day!

Now I'm going to see about picking up a set from the junkyard to put on my junk. Thanks for the insight!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The high side pressure is a good indicator of how well the condenser is condensing the refrigerant. When there are issues the high side pressure can get extremely high.

One of our students forgot to turn on the condenser fan on the trainer he was using. The high side pressure was 450+, low side was climbing and hit 60+ when I shut it down. Needless to say it wasn't cooling very well.

Another thing to check is the drain. If it is clogged the evap will be covered in water and not cool well.