Is my mpg reasonable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had 2 expeditions now and mpg has been pretty consistent with both. Most of our driving is short trips in town and doing that the mileage is not great 12-15 but usually more in the 12-13 range. These are not great at short trips around town. MPG has been the same for both I have owned around town.

Thus far my new 2020 seems to get slightly worse mpg on the highway and towing, this is hard to scientifically quantify due to all sorts of external factors but I seem to be consistently about 1mpg less in the 2020 on the highway. I only have about 3k miles on the 2020 so it is hardly enough to make any sort of statement on it. We may still be running winter gas for most of that too.

I will say that I for sure have seen better mpg when using premium gas than lower octane, especially when towing and on long highway runs.

I should follow @LokiWolf advise and replace my plugs with something better. I was about to do that on my 2019 before it was no more.
How many miles does the 2020 have?

Also, I see you went from XLT to Plati. There is a good difference in weight there, and unsprang weigh especially. 22's on the Plati weigh more than the 18's on the XLT, and will negatively affect MPG, especially Stop and Go wise. More energy needed to get them moving.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles does the 2020 have?

Also, I see you went from XLT to Plati. There is a good difference in weight there, and unsprang weigh especially. 22's on the Plati weigh more than the 18's on the XLT, and will negatively affect MPG, especially Stop and Go wise. More energy needed to get them moving.
I kind of assumed the 22's were some of the problem and yes there is a little more weight but that is probably negligeable when we are loaded for road trips. Seven people, roof cargo box and bike rack. The 2020 only has 26k on it, so not a ton and may not need plugs quite yet. Again, not enough miles on it for me to really see enough of a trend and there has been some weather and wind on some trips that severely skewed those trips.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@duneslider In the City, Stop/Go the 22's make more of difference than when steady state. Unsprung weight makes more difference than cargo weight proportionally. Lighter 18's with more tire vs wheel the weight is more evenly spread, so a lower polar moment. Larger wheels with less tire, while being heavier also puts more of the weight further from the center line, creating a high polar moment. Basically more energy is needed to get it moving, both because the total weight is more, and because the distribution is more to the outside. If your MPG is lower in the City, that is a good chunk of the reason.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trying to get good mpg in a 5500lb vehicle is always a uphill battle. Super skinny high psi tires will help a lot but its not realistic to run, same with all the other things that can be changed. I do not even look at my MPG it is what it is. But tires are the first and easiest to get mpg. When I changed the tires on my Timberline my mpg went down by 2-4 miles easy. But I would rather have the better off road tire that the mpg.

Brons2

Reaction score
Wow, not so "eco"boost. I get about 15 hand calculated in my 10 Navigator mainly suburban trips.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, not so "eco"boost. I get about 15 hand calculated in my 10 Navigator mainly suburban trips.
It is all relative, my expedition replaced a jeep commander and my around town average is better, highway average is better, and towing average is better. The expedition weighs more than the jeep, is bigger than the jeep, and does everything but offroad better than the jeep so it is much more "eco" than the jeep for my needs. Is it perfect, nope but its better than some other options out there.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Compared to the 5.4 V8 in my 2005 Limited, my 2018 XLT gets 25% better mpg in my daily use (25 km commute, mostly "highway" in scare quotes, plus normal errands on weekends and such). That's a BIG improvement in 12 years.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They should change the engine name of the engines in Expeditions from 3.5 ECOboost to 3.5 Twin Turbo . Nothing eco about it

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's eco if you work it right lol. I'm surprised my 450hp nav easily avgs 23mpg on the hwy and yall struggling to get 16mpg on the hwy.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘16 EL for hauling my tools/ travel stuff while on the road. Gas sipping characteristic’s weren’t on my mind when shopping for something that could comfortably haul my stuff, and have enough room for me to nap between hotels. While also having enough power to tow my car trailer.

Was under the impression for a long time that diesel’s were all around more fuel efficient until talking with a few coworkers that owned one. Was told, “the real difference with a diesel is when it’s hauling/ towing. If it’s not working it’s not doing you any favors”. With that said, and the current prices the heavy duty trucks are going for I’ll have to stick with Expedition.

I guess what I’m saying is be happy with what you have because if you scale down to a gas sipper, like I did back in 2004’ish when fuel prices went through the roof, you end up not happy. I know I wasn’t. Regretted my decision. Though I will tell you at that time I saw a brand new Chevy Silverado 2500 with an Allison transmission for $35,000. Yeah, you read that right. So, I hopped in for a test drive. Was about to pull the trigger after the drive until I noticed what the diesel fuel price was at that time… if I remember correctly it was $4.35. Nope!!! Got in my truck after pulling into the dealers lot.