just bought an 05. Different COP question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captain chaos

Reaction score
Well, I just bought an 05 Expy and I have a question about the COP's.
There are a couple of coils that look different than the others on the top. There are 1 or 2 of them with a black top and some writing on them (part no or some such I assume) and the others have an almost 'clear' look to them. Like the internals are set in some kind of clear epoxy with no label on the top. I was just wondering what do the original look like? It seems as some of them have been changed already. Any that haven't I'm going to change anyway just because I've run into the COP headache before.
Thanks.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's working good I don't see why you'd want to change them. Just change the spark plugs if you're worried about it.

jdecker

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about changing the coils either, just change the boots when you replace your plugs. About 90% of the time what people think is a bad coil is really a bad boot, really haven't seen that many bad coils but have seen plenty of bad boots.

OP
OP
C

captain chaos

Reaction score
Boy, that definitely wasn't my experience with my 2000 Expy.
Those coil packs turned into a major headache.
I've learned there are some things that's best to nip in the budd BEFORE they become a problem. The truck I bought has 158k mi on it so if the coils haven't been replaced I know there's a good chance they will be a problem in the near future (from my experience).
I picked the truck up dirt cheap knowing that it needed some work so I don't mind throwing a little extra into it if it means it saves me a headache in the future.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The clear ones are normally the OEM originals. I am guessing the previous owners were changing them as they went bad. Depending where you live, it's a good idea to change them before winter because extreme cold brings out the worst in electrical components, and changing a COP at the back of the motor in -10* weather is not fun. I know....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anupe