Just got a 2009 Expedition Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rowekmr

Reaction score
I have owned a few Explorers/Mountaineers V8 from the 5.0l to 4.6l 2v to the 4.6l and loved them for their versatility in haulng my family of 5 and occasionally towing my 26' boat. When I got a travel trailer and kids got bigger I got a Navigator both a 2004 model and a 2007 which handled the boat much better and I loved the luxury but had suspension problems with the 2004 that I was able to resolve (after riding around like a low rider) that I sold after kids moved out. I have been wanting a Expedition for awhile to move my stuff around and occasionally tow a Uhaul trailer to move cars around and to deal with the Midwest snow that is coming.

I picked up a 2009 Eddie Bauer sight unseen through downstate auction on a whim at a low price. At the worst I expected engine noises, dash lights and/or interior worn out because it wasn't in an accident. I told the delivery driver to call me if they damaged it loading (which I have seen them do to others) and I didn't get a call so I knew I was on to a good start. When it arrived on flatbed I always check fluids before starting but I couldn't get hood to unlatch. I found out later I was pulling the emergency brake release lol. Surprisingly it didn't need a jump when I turned key it started right up, most auction cars sit so long the battery discharges or viewing dealers/buyers leave on lights to deter others. Engine sounded quiet and smooth idle only the ABS light was on (it was on in the listing) but everything worked and I was able to drive it a few blocks to my house (ABS light went off enroute).

After checking fluids and doing visual inspection the interior was clean with small foam chunks I wondered were from mice eating the cushioning but I didn't see anything else. I took it to local auto wash and also vacuumed cleaned it out and that place also changes oil and although I hate quick change oil places I decided to try (start off with fresh oil) and watched all the steps carefully. When I pulled into the stall I noticed the engine idle lower and sort of a missing/tapping noise. I shut it off and of course they noted on receipt engine tapping and when they finished I started it up and idle was smooth and no noises. I haven't driven much but since then I notice a few times warmed up if it idles for awhile it happens again. I can't hear the noise that good because the window is up now its cold here but its a rough idle with a slight metallic tap noise. After pressing accelerator and raising rpm slightly it goes away.

Secondly during cruising speed if I press the accelerator lightly to accelerate I hear a low noise in rear. At first I thought it was missing (like my Navigator that required coils) but it doesn't miss. I am wondering if its the exhaust (loose heat shield) or possibly bearings in driveline or wheel hubs.

Thirdly I noticed that long ago rumble of air pump under the hood the second day. It only came on once on short drive. On third day it came on a few times and once stayed on unusually long but it did shut down. From my 2004 Navigator with suspension problems they seemed to get worst as temps dropped but I have never seen the rear drop after sitting overnight.

Oh I did find that although the exterior paint was shiny and interior clean but when I opened all 4 doors there was rust on the rocker panels if that's the name the lower part of floor that the door seals with when closed. It looks terrble with door open but can't see it with door closed so for now it is okay as my winter beater. Did I fail to mention it has fairly new snow tires on? All in all I am satisfied with this if it doesn't require big expense repairs which is why it may have ended up at auction in first place lol

Any ideas of the idle, air pump or rear end noise?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clean MAF sensor for idle issue, if truck has air suspension, could be an issue with the rear bags, if truck has lots of miles.

OP
OP
R

rowekmr

Reaction score
The suspension seems to be working okay. The pump comes on occasionally but not for long and I can feel the rear suspension rise or adjust. Today was the coldest day thus far at -4 and it was only on for a short burst after I started the truck.

For the rough idle if I let it idle a long time like that it will have codes P0012 and P0022 which online many point to the VCT solenoids.

For the rear noise I am still out on that.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sry you got one if these Poss of its the 5.4-3 valve. Terrible terrible engine.

OP
OP
R

rowekmr

Reaction score
It’s my 3rd one I’m learning on each one.
Yeah they got their issues but I love the Expedition/Navigator platform and when running right they are strong and efficient engine lol

I'm sry you got one if these Poss of its the 5.4-3 valve. Terrible terrible engine.