Kayaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So i got two new one person kayaks and decided to haul them with out a kayak rack on the roof of my expy. It worked several times until today when they decided to become airborne at 60 mph. I suffered a small dent on my truck and the kayaks had some scrapes but they turned out ok. I seriously need a better way to haul them on my roof. Should i go get a rack for the roof or is there a less expensive way? I stored them inside my expy after that happened but then i lose all my cargo room. What should i do??????

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Saw an Expedition hauling some today. Got stuck behind them. Maybe if you might have been going slow like them it wouldn't have happened! lol JK I lost a grille while driving my old pick up. Whoops!

megawatt00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use the J style kayak, holders. If you have a cockpit cover use that too when transporting them, this will prevent it from being used as a "sail" as you travel down the road.

My daughter and I are avid kayakers, she is pretty darn good for a 12 year old. I have seen some crazy ways people carry their crafts....

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i gave in and bought a rack. That was prob what i should of done in the first place. Thanks guys and losing a grill would suck. Now to get that dent out.

Slip-N-Slide

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have two sets of Yakima Bowdowns for sale. Since I put a leveling kit on my truck I want to get one set of the Yakima hullyrollers and one set of the mako aero saddles to carry mine. The Bowdowns are the J style that fold down. I'm glad the kayaks turned out ok along with the minor damage to your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megawatt00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have two sets of Yakima Bowdowns for sale. Since I put a leveling kit on my truck I want to get one set of the Yakima hullyrollers and one set of the mako aero saddles to carry mine. The Bowdowns are the J style that fold down. I'm glad the kayaks turned out ok along with the minor damage to your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you looking to get for them?

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to invest in a set as well....I have two kayaks that will need to be xported to/from lakes

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not motivated to slide hammer out the dent my self so i am thinking about sending her out to a shop or the tech to get my hood repainted and the dent erased. We got our kayaks on sale and we only really use them for leisure so they aren't too fancy. We take them down on the lake or river. We got both for under $500 total. I can post a pic once i get the rack set up.