Leaky Exhaust HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Now my exhaust is leaking. What causes this? Is it messing up anything with me driving it like that? How expensive to have this fixed? Is it something ext warr will cover?

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to have the right exhaust manifold replaced...it was a couple hundred bucks through ford (and they said to expect 3 hours worth of labor charges). When i dropped it off to have it replaced, they found an oil leak (which needed a new head gasket on the right side) and a new transmission dip stick tube (had a huge rusted hole in it). The exhaust leak i had was a little more expensive than most, cause what really happened: a bolt rusted and broke...the heat from the leak warped the exhaust manifold...when they were trying to take the head off, the busted bolt had to be drilled out...then they managed to break another one bad enough that they had to send it to a shop to have it drilled out. After all of that, parts and labor, it was just over $2000.00. My extended warranty covered everything but $60.00. The dealer submitted to my extended warranty that the manifold was warped and a broken bolt. They were able to sneak the transmission dip stick tube in as well.

OP
OP
G

I was asking my mechanic about it and he said that to an extent it is supposed to leak, to keep from rusting out. I told him where it was coming from and he said that there is a drain hole there. So hopefully that is right. Any one think that sounds right.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you referring to the muffler? Many mufflers have drain holes.

OP
OP
G

Yeah on the muffler that is where the water is coming from, on the back side of the lip of the muffler.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds right. The hole should be pretty small though, about 1/8" in diameter or less.