Lemon buybacks, would you take the chance on buying one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm starting to look at replacing my Gen3 Expy with a Gen 4 and starting to look around at used deals, doing my homework. And I noticed this one dealer in Charlotte NC with more than one 18' Expy for sale that was a lemon buyback from owner. Both have the same issue listed on their CarFax...

• VEHICLE REACQUIRED

Vehicle reacquired by the manufacturer pursuant to applicable state consumer warranty laws or to promote customer satisfaction.

• Reason provided by Manufacturer:
  • Clanking noise when shifting// Transmission

The price is obviously great. I've been watching this forum for a couple of years and have seen this issue mentioned more then several times. Question I have is this issue fixable? Do you think the dealer/Ford resolves the issue before reselling? Would you take the gamble?

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a tough question. If it's fixable, maybe. Also, what is NC lemon law? I understand that California's lemon law is extremely generous. It is said many CA lemon cars are just cars people can't afford, so they make up stupid stuff, and bam! Lemon law this outta here. I saw a few lemoned Chargers that were bought back for screen burn in, clanking noise in front end, one had something about alignment, lots of dumb stuff.

I'd ask the dealer for any paperwork regarding the repair. Maybe even see if they can pull up and repair history. Also, what's the warranty? Will they extend it?

Good luck!

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it would have to have one HELL of an extended warranty on it for me to touch it....and it would have to include a rental car to prevent the loss of a vehicle when / if it's in the shop

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in the kick-the-tires phase, so I doubt I'd jump on this at this point. I may wait a year more for the prices to drop a bit, but the price they are asking is a good $6k-$8k cheaper than a similarly non-lemon used ride.

I looks like they are offering some extended warranty on top of the remaining factory warranty. I would say if they have replaced the transmission and it's working fine then why not? But I guess you will also then probably take a hit on your resale of it since it has this history. Might just wash out any upfront savings.

outdare

Reaction score
It would have to be 15k to 20k cheaper to afford the fixes that will come up. I would ask for the warranty that includes the rental or proof that the issues have been fixed. Like transmission replacement etc..

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. I wouldn't want a vehicle with 'trust issues', no matter what the warranty.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A theoretical vehicle for 5 grand -- maybe... for the probably-35-ish grand they'll want for this newish expensive truck? Naaaaah prolly not

Unless they replaced the whole tranny?

Although.... NAH.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember You get what you payfor! If it is to good to be true it is!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also this is currently LITERALLY the worst couple months in any car dealer's recorded history.

The recent stimulus and "encouraging" political rhetoric may well have convinced them to hold prices for now and see if anyone bites... but expect DRASTIC drops in the next few weeks as reality sets in

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score
That would be a hell no. In order for them to buy back the car that means it has been to the dealer multiple times and they couldn't fix it. They have consulted with engineers and many smart people with massive resources and have been unable to fix this car. You don't stand a chance.