Let's play... guess the repair bill total!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It kind of matters as now you have a mechanic whom you believe made an error doing major disassembly of your motor and hoping it's completed to spec. Not an ideal scenario in my eyes.

I'd feel left out if I didn't take a swing. $8736.

OP
OP
mr_dave

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It kind of matters as now you have a mechanic whom you believe made an error doing major disassembly of your motor and hoping it's completed to spec. Not an ideal scenario in my eyes.
Yeah, I agree but they have a 20+ year master mechanic working on it so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.

I just got an update. They got it all put back together and test drove it only to hear more ticking noise! They got approval to replace the cam phasers next. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow or the next day.

Also, it sits right at 49k miles right now. I cannot believe the amount of repairs it has already needed. I've owned all kinds of makes and models previously and never had any kinds of problems like this. I knew the 5.4L had some issues, but figured a later model would have the bugs ironed out and would last at least a little while before needing attention. The shortcuts and cost savings Ford took on critical components while designing this engine is very disappointing. And judging by similar issues on the 3.5L Ecoboost they haven't learned their lesson.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've owned all kinds of makes and models previously and never had any kinds of problems like this. I knew the 5.4L had some issues, but figured a later model would have the bugs ironed out and would last at least a little while before needing attention
At only 49k on the odometer, I would say your engine woes are way in the minority of average 5.4 internal issues. I’ve owned many other engines as well and I’ve got a 5.4 2 valve in my 08 Utility E 350 Super Duty van that I bought new. It has 140K on the odo and I haven’t touched it other than 2 alternators, 2 sets of plugs, and 1 coil pack and a couple of batteries. It’s also dry as a bone everywhere as far as leaks. I’ve also had the 5sp tow haul transmission serviced (flushed)only once. This truck has 4.10 gears and I have never babied it to say the least as far as how I drive it. It weighs 9,500 lbs. all the time loaded with my tools and I haul a dump trailer that usually weighs around 6,000 -8,000 lbs loaded. I regularly ring it out through the gears just fighting in traffic getting up to speed with all my weight and it never skips a beat. I do change my oil every 3K religiously as I feel I should because it is living a severe duty life. I can really say I’m very impressed with how tough it has been and how it’s given me flawless service. I’ve owned a lot of work trucks and this is the first one with a 5.4 V8 and I can say it’s gotta be my favorite so far because it’s that loyal. Maybe I just got a good one or you just got a bad one? But what ever mine is made of it’s anything but junk! I remember walking down the line of about 12 commercial cutaway vans all exactly the same including the color white when I bought it thinking I hope I pick a good one.

scottc

Reaction score
I've only had my Exp for a few months and it only had 45k miles on it when I got it. I've already done a couple repairs myself, like new intake and coolant crossover gaskets, which are plastic for some awful reason.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I noticed a new loud ticking sound and major loss of power while accelerating. I brought it to the dealership (since I have an extended warranty) and they diagnosed some bad rocker arms. There's a TSB to replace all the rocker arms in this scenario, so it's getting 24 new ones. While replacing them the mechanic said one of the valves dropped into the head, uh oh. That involves taking half the engine apart to get it out, so while they were in there I had them check the timing components, especially the chain tensioners. Sure enough, they both had bad seals and will be replaced, which is probably what caused the rocker arms to fail.

It's supposed to be done on Monday after being there for almost 2 weeks. The advisor said the mechanic will bill almost 30hrs of labor. I said they should have just put a new engine in it as it probably would have been cheaper, the advisor just chuckled. Anyone want to guess how much the total will be? Thankfully this is the first vehicle I bought an extended warranty for and my deductible is negligible!
This is very distressing to hear, thankfully in your case an extended warranty has your back. Do you know any of the service history prior to your ownership? Also, do you know if the 2013 5.4's had the revised chain tensioners with better gaskets, and the roller followers with the smaller oil ports? Trying to figure out why this could happen at 45k miles, as I'm about to close the deal on a 2010 with 138,000 miles, with the timing components replaced, but to my knowledge not the roller followers or oil pump.

bws2015

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree but they have a 20+ year master mechanic working on it so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.

I just got an update. They got it all put back together and test drove it only to hear more ticking noise! They got approval to replace the cam phasers next. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow or the next day.

Also, it sits right at 49k miles right now. I cannot believe the amount of repairs it has already needed. I've owned all kinds of makes and models previously and never had any kinds of problems like this. I knew the 5.4L had some issues, but figured a later model would have the bugs ironed out and would last at least a little while before needing attention. The shortcuts and cost savings Ford took on critical components while designing this engine is very disappointing. And judging by similar issues on the 3.5L Ecoboost they haven't learned their lesson.
Meh, Ive had several ecoboost now, never an issue. 117k on my current ecoboost expedition, but I have read of other people that had some issues. Of the few 5.4l 3v engines I've had, they all had cam phaser issues.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! This is tuff t hear. My 2010 Limited AL went 164K miles. Other than periodic maintenance, only issue I ever had was one the those pesky plastic heater hose connections started weeping. Engine ran as strong as day 1, and no oil consumption. Guess I got lucky.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, Ive had several ecoboost now, never an issue. 117k on my current ecoboost expedition, but I have read of other people that had some issues. Of the few 5.4l 3v engines I've had, they all had cam phaser issues.
You have a old EcoBoost though when they were better reliability wise lol. Pretty much everyone in the 4th gen section with the newer EcoBoost 18-19 has done phasers for what it’s worth. They all have problems….I’ll still drive them. Wouldn’t stop me from buying a newer one regardless.

Last edited: