Let's play... guess the repair bill total!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've only had my Exp for a few months and it only had 45k miles on it when I got it. I've already done a couple repairs myself, like new intake and coolant crossover gaskets, which are plastic for some awful reason.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I noticed a new loud ticking sound and major loss of power while accelerating. I brought it to the dealership (since I have an extended warranty) and they diagnosed some bad rocker arms. There's a TSB to replace all the rocker arms in this scenario, so it's getting 24 new ones. While replacing them the mechanic said one of the valves dropped into the head, uh oh. That involves taking half the engine apart to get it out, so while they were in there I had them check the timing components, especially the chain tensioners. Sure enough, they both had bad seals and will be replaced, which is probably what caused the rocker arms to fail.

It's supposed to be done on Monday after being there for almost 2 weeks. The advisor said the mechanic will bill almost 30hrs of labor. I said they should have just put a new engine in it as it probably would have been cheaper, the advisor just chuckled. Anyone want to guess how much the total will be? Thankfully this is the first vehicle I bought an extended warranty for and my deductible is negligible!

Brucell

Reaction score
A new/rebuilt motor would most likely cost about the same…thank God you have the extended warrantee.
By the way, did you purchase it from one of the phone solicitors
?

OP
OP
mr_dave

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A new/rebuilt motor would most likely cost about the same…thank God you have the extended warrantee.
By the way, did you purchase it from one of the phone solicitors
?
Yeah, had we known all the items that needed repair it probably would have made sense to just replace the whole engine.

I got the warranty from my credit union for just under $800 when I got my loan. I almost didn't get it but I'm glad they convinced me to!

The dealership still isn't finished, hoping it will be tomorrow which will be 2 weeks.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While replacing them the mechanic said one of the valves dropped into the head, uh oh. That
I assume the mechanic dropped the valve while working on it and not the other way around.When a valve drops while an engine is running it’s normally automatic that it needs a engine, especially if they have to remove the head to retrieve the valve. That means the valve has been getting slammed by the piston which also means ruined piston cylinder walls and connecting rod. In that scenario you usually don’t need to remove anything to retrieve parts because they have already came out the side of the block or oil pan. I’m guessing $8,000

OP
OP
mr_dave

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume the mechanic dropped the valve while working on it and not the other way around.When a valve drops while an engine is running it’s normally automatic that it needs a engine, especially if they have to remove the head to retrieve the valve. That means the valve has been getting slammed by the piston which also means ruined piston cylinder walls and connecting rod. In that scenario you usually don’t need to remove anything to retrieve parts because they have already came out the side of the block or oil pan. I’m guessing $8,000
Yes, the valve dropped into the cylinder while replacing rocker arms. They said something "broke" but I'm thinking it was more of an error on the mechanic's part. Either way, the labor is being covered so I guess it doesn't matter. To retrieve it the head needs to be removed which means disassembling the front of the engine and half of the timing components also.

This is the warranty I got: https://www.cunamutual.com/-/media/...c/mrc-placemat-and-more-information.pdf?la=en It was a very reasonable cost when I got the vehicle loan. Apparently it's only available through participating credit unions.