Liftgate Strut Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Left liftgate strut is groaning when closing. I've seen before that this can be cured with some cleaning and greasing but the entire strut is surrounded by a plastic shield that looks like it's not removeable likely to try to protect it and making it unserviceable and just a replacement item. Looks like the upper connector is pretty standard but I'm having a hard time figuring out the lower connector. Any ideas or anyone dealt with this before? Noise is pretty annoying and if it's binding could cause additional issues.

I'd rather take care of it myself instead of waiting and paying for a dealer but looking at the service manual it might be required for the RGMT self-test. Lots of Youtube videos up to 2017 models but nothing I can find newer.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Left liftgate strut is groaning when closing. I've seen before that this can be cured with some cleaning and greasing but the entire strut is surrounded by a plastic shield that looks like it's not removeable likely to try to protect it and making it unserviceable and just a replacement item. Looks like the upper connector is pretty standard but I'm having a hard time figuring out the lower connector. Any ideas or anyone dealt with this before? Noise is pretty annoying and if it's binding could cause additional issues.

I'd rather take care of it myself instead of waiting and paying for a dealer but looking at the service manual it might be required for the RGMT self-test. Lots of Youtube videos up to 2017 models but nothing I can find newer.

The left liftgate gas-charged strut, or the left liftgate power ram?

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s pretty creeky/ squeaky. Be advised… if you remove that strut from the top mount to service it in anyway be sure to make note of its position before removing. Also, do not activate it while disconnected.

While doing my sub/ amp install I removed the entire rear area… seats, carpet, upper/ lower side panels, etc. Well, I disconnected that motorized rod so I could removed the panel(s). Turned out I needed to move the truck during installation of my components because the sun was beaming down on me. I don’t remember the exact sequence of events, but it kinda went like this. Started the truck, the realized the hatch was still open. Tried closing the door manually (rod disconnected at this point), then it starts to spin because it senses the door was closed. Because it was hooked up it spun more than it should have. Same thing happened when I opened the door.

After all my mod work was completed, and the door hooked completely back up it would close. Then open. Then close. Then open. You get the idea… had to remove the rod and readjust the limits on it. Took about 5-10min.

Moral of the story… disconnect power to it. Also, make note of it’s clocked position before removing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire