Liftgate Button Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zerokoo149

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the liftgate button that is in the liftgate to replace it. The button pictured in this thread:

I don't to start prying at it since I don't want to mar the plastic around it. I imagine it's a fairly simple removal process, but I'm not sure if I have to pop off the whole panel and remove from the inside. Has anyone on here done this before and could tell me the best way?

I already checked other threads and youtube, but wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks in advance!

LegalBrief

Reaction score
You take off rear panel with a soft plastic trim pry tool, then you can release the switch from the rear and or pop it out. Otherwise you will scratch

OP
OP
Z

Zerokoo149

Reaction score
You take off rear panel with a soft plastic trim pry tool, then you can release the switch from the rear and or pop it out. Otherwise you will scratch
Thanks for confirm, only took about 3 mins to pull the panel off.

Funny enough, I saw immediately that the switch was operating perfectly once I popped it out of the housing. As soon as I would put it back in, it would start sticking again. I just shaved a little plastic around the 4 sides of the opening with a utility knife, I had to do it a few times inserting and taking the button out. Finally after the 3rd or 4th "shave" it started working fine and hasn't stuck since.

Everything looks factory again once I reinstalled the button, in case anyone else runs into the same issue with the button sticking. Total job about 10 minutes and $0.

Michael D Morris

Reaction score
As the others have recommended, I used a soft plastic trim tool and the button popped right out. No need to remove any panels. A new button (switch) was about $28 at the Ford dealership.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a similar post on here where I detail part of the design flaw with these buttons. there is nothing mechanical that provides the return force for the button, other than a flimsy rubber filament. If these were maybe designed more like a keyboard key that has springs that return the key's to their resting position, it might last longer. In cold weather the rubber becomes stiff and functions even worse. I put a little silicone lubricant in mine the last time I took it apart, that also seemed to help a bit, but about a year later I'm feeling it stick again, especially as the days are getting colder, just a cheap flimsy design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire