Lifting a 2008 - Tire/wheel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I was out messing with Forscan, since I got my new OBDII plug with the MS/HS switch. I wanted to turn the TPMS system off, and adjust my speedo, which was an option in the 2015-2017 section, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Didn’t match the data for adjusting the speedo, so that’ll still have to be a dealer trip, but I did manage to get TPMS turned off.

In my “field test” I went to drop a Tire down to about 20 PSI, and go for a drive. Come to find out, they had these damn tires at about 48 PSI! That probably explains the insanely harsh ride, feeling EVERY single pebble and piece of dirt on the road! I dropped them all to 35 for now, read quite a few Jeep and lifted truck forums where people were asking what pressure to run on the road. Ranges from 28-32ish on average from what I saw, with 35” tires. I personally feel like that’s too low, so I dropped them to 35 for now. Well see how she rides tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Sccritterkiller

Reaction score
I run 28 psi in my jeep...it has leafs all the around so every little bit helps...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dropped them all to 35 for now, read quite a few Jeep and lifted truck forums where people were asking what pressure to run on the road. Ranges from 28-32ish on average from what I saw, with 35” tires. I personally feel like that’s too low, so I dropped them to 35 for now. Well see how she rides tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Wranglers weigh 2000 lbs less though

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah the more I dig into some of those threads, the more 28 seems to be the most common. Ill give them a shot at 35 tomorrow, and see how they feel. I don't really have anywhere to go today, and I don't really feel like leaving the house anyways lol

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're not wrong; but is it really necessary to have them at nearly 50 PSI?

Probably depends on whether you drive just yourself... or totally disregard the stickers and regularly pile in 2,000+ lbs of people and gear

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, just myself and occasionally another 300(?) pound coworker lol

A few days at 35, and the ride is night and day. Bump steer is probably not even half as bad as it was either. Win win.

I feel like the tire/road noise has gone down a little bit but that’s probably just in my head.

Sccritterkiller

Reaction score
Good deal. I hope you didnt misunderstand my previous post...I wasn't implying that you should run your tires at 28psi...my intent was show you that you should experiment with your psi and recalibrating your speedo before jumping to a regear...my YJ is 4000 lbs less than my expy and only has 33s. No way I would run my expy on 28 psi unless I was out on the outer banx... in which case I run 25 psi on the sand..Glad to see your getting it dialed in.

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh no I gotcha, that’s another thing I got from other forum posts, basically just expirament and see what feels best to you. One guy even described how to do a chalk test and basically test the tread wear pattern to get you the best pressure to get the most life out of the tires.

So update on the shifting:
I really feel like the trans needed to “adapt” or adjust its patterns. It’s shifting quite different now, (not in a bad way) and holds itself in gear on the highway, the only time it downshifts like I was complaining about, is noticeable inclines which is perfectly acceptable to me.

I think I’ll be okay with my gears now, which makes my wallet happy. Lol

Now the thing I’m noticing is a small roar at low speeds, that goes away when I turn a certain way. (Can’t remember off the top of my head) but sounds like possibly the drivers side front wheel bearing.

Is Moog or Timken an acceptable replacement? Seems like some brands are better than others - depending on the vehicle. Seems like a fairly easy job as well.

Sccritterkiller

Reaction score
I would also check you 4wd actuators...make sure you have vacuum going to your IWE...you have to have vacuum to stay in 4wd...I had a grinding sound coming to a stop...4wd actuator was bad not the wheel bearing..