Lightweight Jump Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gillbrak

Reaction score
Love NOCO battery chargers (I have the G2600) and their quality is great but their jump starters are weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you'll know after watching this Youtube review:

Did you even look at the comments in the video, with no battery or VERY low battery you have to put the NOCO's in Bypass mode. It is covered in the instructions that come with it. It is a safety feature. I have started V8's with completely dead batterys with my GB40 many times. It helps if the guy making the video actually reads the instructions for the product he is using...

Love it! Come on people...be smarter than the average guy on YouTube.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Love NOCO battery chargers (I have the G2600) and their quality is great but their jump starters are weak.

Not in my experience. My GB70 started my 2006 250 Powerstroke on 2 separate below freezing mornings. This is a 2 battery 250 that had sat all night, and needed to cycle the glow plugs. It was definitely not as strong as both the batteries, but it started.

That truck was hard on batteries. Replaced them less than 2 years every time. Made buying the Duralast Gold's worth every penny because of the warranty.

Gillbrak

Reaction score
Not in my experience. My GB70 started my 2006 250 Powerstroke on 2 separate below freezing mornings. This is a 2 battery 250 that had sat all night, and needed to cycle the glow plugs. It was definitely not as strong as both the batteries, but it started.

That truck was hard on batteries. Replaced them less than 2 years every time. Made buying the Duralast Gold's worth every penny because of the warranty.

Impressive for sure. I’m guessing that’s probably at the upper limits of the gb 70. I must’ve been using the override feature incorrectly/not at all on my Tundra.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you even look at the comments in the video, with no battery or VERY low battery you have to put the NOCO's in Bypass mode. It is covered in the instructions that come with it. It is a safety feature. I have started V8's with completely dead batterys with my GB40 many times. It helps if the guy making the video actually reads the instructions for the product he is using...

Love it! Come on people...be smarter than the average guy on YouTube.

People only believe youtube these days...better than the aol chain emails they believed before youtube I guess...youtube links are harder for crazy uncles to forward.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Impressive for sure. I’m guessing that’s probably at the upper limits of the gb 70. I must’ve been using the override feature incorrectly/not at all on my Tundra.

OH Yeah, definitely on its limit, but it did it.

Here is the documentation on the ByPass and why it is needed sometimes.

Manual Override
NOCO Genius Boosts are designed to jump start 12-volt lead-acid batteries down to 2-volts. If your battery is below 2-volts, the Boost LED will be “Off”. This is an indication that Boost can not detect a battery. If you need to jump start a battery below 2-volts there is a Manual Override feature, which allows you to force “On” the jump start function.

CAUTION. USE THIS MODE WITH EXTREME CARE. THIS MODE IS FOR 12-VOLT LEAD-ACID BATTERIES ONLY. BOTH THE SPARK PROOF AND REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION FEATURES ARE DISABLED. PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE POLARITY OF THE BATTERY BEFORE USING THIS MODE. DO NOT ALLOW THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE BATTERY CLAMPS TO TOUCH OR CONNECT TO EACH OTHER AS THE PRODUCT WILL GENERATE SPARKS. THIS MODE USES VERY HIGH CURRENT (FROM 400-4000 AMPS) THAT CAN CAUSE SPARKS AND HIGH HEAT IF NOT USED PROPERLY. IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT USING THIS MODE, DO NOT ATTEMPT AND SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP.

Before using the Manual Override feature, make sure the battery clamps are connected to the correct polarity battery terminals and the X-Connect Clamps are connected to Boost. To use the Manual Override feature, press and hold the Manual Override Button (a red exclamation point icon inside a red circle) for three (3) seconds. The white Boost LED will flash “On” and “Off” indicating you have successfully entered into Manual Override and it is ready to jump start your vehicle.

CAUTION: POWER THE BOOST JUMP STARTER “OFF” BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY CLAMPS. THIS WILL ENSURE YOUR SAFETY. REMEMBER BOTH THE SPARK PROOF AND REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION FEATURES ARE DISABLED IN MANUAL OVERRIDE.

JOE LIPSKY

Reaction score
There are a lot of good YouTube reviews on the various jump starters available today. After checking a few reviews of the various options I selected the Noco GB70 and don't regret the purchase. It's a very capable unit.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am surprised the GB40 didn’t start it. But you never know with YouTube paid or sponsored products. He could have not had the clamps on just right. But it is interesting that the GB40 has tons of good reviews on Amazon. I know they can be paid for as well. But the Iclever isn’t even available anymore on Amazon or their web site. I have also read you need to leave the NOCO’s on for a minute before starting helps.

7a2ec83bf788fb99c01e76c0d15134f8.jpg

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am surprised the GB40 didn’t start it. But you never know with YouTube paid or sponsored products. He could have not had the clamps on just right. But it is interesting that the GB40 has tons of good reviews on Amazon. I know they can be paid for as well. But the Iclever isn’t even available anymore on Amazon or their web site. I have also read you need to leave the NOCO’s on for a minute before starting helps.

7a2ec83bf788fb99c01e76c0d15134f8.jpg

As noted in this thread he failed to press the override button.