Limp Mode, Fuel Leak, Burning Smell, & Neutral Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mhExped

Reaction score
Finally got a call last Friday that the repairs to the fuel injector had been made and the car had been thoroughly inspected/tested and was good to go.

Picked it up from the dealer's lot Saturday. Drove it about 3 miles home. Then, drove it about 4 miles on my way to run some errands before the check engine light came back on.

Straight back to the dealer it went. :-(

Didn't go into limp mode this time (I guess that's a plus).

The FordPass app reported some error related to the catalytic converter sensing poor conditions or something.

Only other bit of info that seemed potentially relevant was I noticed a considerable amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust when I started it up on the dealer's lot before initially driving it home. Maybe "considerable" conveys the wrong idea, but certainly enough for me to take notice at the time.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got a call last Friday that the repairs to the fuel injector had been made and the car had been thoroughly inspected/tested and was good to go.

Picked it up from the dealer's lot Saturday. Drove it about 3 miles home. Then, drove it about 4 miles on my way to run some errands before the check engine light came back on.

Straight back to the dealer it went. :-(

Didn't go into limp mode this time (I guess that's a plus).

The FordPass app reported some error related to the catalytic converter sensing poor conditions or something.

Only other bit of info that seemed potentially relevant was I noticed a considerable amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust when I started it up on the dealer's lot before initially driving it home. Maybe "considerable" conveys the wrong idea, but certainly enough for me to take notice at the time.

Wow - at the Ford dealer for almost three weeks, and you only drove it four miles and it malfunctions again.

I wish you good luck - but it sounds like the dealer took their time and did a bad repair job.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cat probably got very hot due the unburnt fuel and failed. This easy to replace. The important thing is that the engine doesn’t have ticks or knocks.

OP
OP
M

mhExped

Reaction score
The cat probably got very hot due the unburnt fuel and failed.

Yep, was told by dealer "they" (there's more than one in these cars?) are being replaced - waiting on parts.

After consulting with the regional service rep, they're going to keep the car and put some miles on it after replacing to try and see what else may pop up and need addressing.