Looking for Large SUV TV Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RingItUp

Reaction score
We've got a Keystone Passport SL 268BHW trailer(overall length 30 1/2 feet) with a hitch weight of 820lb or so when loaded(Sherline LM1000 used). We currently tow with a Ram 1500 with air bags, and it fits our family(three 8-12 year old kids and 50 lb dog) fine. Kids are wanting to bring others with them, and payload(under 1,500 lbs!...worked for the first and smaller trailer fine) on this truck is less than desired as we are up against the max now, so I've got the itch to get something that will work better.

I've been eyeing a larger third row SUV like the Expedition Max as a TV and DD. Looking at ~2018\+ Ford Expedition Max Heavy Duty tow package on either a must, as the 268BH can max a 7,000 lbs, although we are probably ~6,500 lb or so most of the time since we don't haul with full water tanks.

This is our second trailer, after making the classic rookie mistake of buying one that was too small for the family. We've done a fair amount of traveling and it's been great. I'd like to have the option for the kids to bring a friend or two for the trips as well, but with a truck there just isn't the space. For a trailer that is just over 30 feet I've seen the 'Camco' recommendations of wheelbase, and for the Max at about 132" it seems a tad on the short side of those. Although I feel like it is probably doable from what I've seen on this forum, and with my towing experience, I also know that the physics with these type of masses aren't to be trifled with. It also looks like a some suspension mods may be needed. Any thoughts would be great, especially maybe what years to avoid in the 2018+ model, or ways to stiffen up the rear suspension, shift weight to the front axle, etc.

WDH currently used is an Camco Recurve R3, and it most likely I'd use it with the next TV. Thanks for the insight! :-D

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First comment - it sounds like you know the hitch weight of the trailer counts as part of the payload on your towing vehicle. So if the payload is 1500 pounds, and the hitch weight is 820 pounds, you have 680 pounds left for people, dogs, and other stuff (purses, snacks, iPads, gear in your truck bed, etc.). Two adults, 3 growing kids, and 50 pounds of dog may already put you close to or over that limit. And I think that is what you have said.

The payload for an Expedition may not be much more than the 1500 pounds of your Ram. Especially with the higher trim levels. That is the limiting number many people face. People like you need Ford to bring back the Excursion.

There are several threads about towing and suspension upgrades (search sway bars and you should get them).

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RingItUp

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts JohnSC,

Yep, thanks for the follow-up on the payload. Definitely aware of it, and it is a prime reason another TV is needed. When we bought the trailer the stated hitch weight was 595 lbs. I figured there was no way it would get that much higher. Guess you add on both tanks, the battery and additional stuff and it sure enough hit 820lbs! Way too close.

I've seen Expedition Maxs that have a 1644 lb or 1652 lb payload, so that suits us much better. Still pushing it in terms of not adding on not much more weight, but for DD purposes the third row works a lot better. Just not sure about moving to the wheelbase that is 12 inches shorter, along with the tricks required for the Exmax moving more weight to the front axle.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts JohnSC,

Yep, thanks for the follow-up on the payload. Definitely aware of it, and it is a prime reason another TV is needed. When we bought the trailer the stated hitch weight was 595 lbs. I figured there was no way it would get that much higher. Guess you add on both tanks, the battery and additional stuff and it sure enough hit 820lbs! Way too close.

I've seen Expedition Maxs that have a 1644 lb or 1652 lb payload, so that suits us much better. Still pushing it in terms of not adding on not much more weight, but for DD purposes the third row works a lot better. Just not sure about moving to the wheelbase that is 12 inches shorter, along with the tricks required for the Exmax moving more weight to the front axle.
Since you are new here you may not be aware of the following. It shows the payload capacity of different members Expys. It is possible to get a MAX with a payload over 1,900 lbs. But as mentioned, if you move up the trim ladder with more options the payload goes down.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Wonderful spreadsheet.

Thanks for posting it (and to whoever compiled the data). I downloaded it and played with the sorting. Low trim models tended to have more capacity but some Limiteds sneaked in among the XL and XLTs. Not really surprising as my '17 XLT is optioned to nearly Limited level other than the badges.

It reinforces what I've advised folks that this can vary significantly depending on the trim and accessories so consulting the sticker is important. Just 'cuz one Expedition can carry over 1900 pounds doesn't mean they all can. Not sure what changes were made in this regard to the Gen4s my 2017 Gen3 XLT 3.5 has a cargo capacity of 1415 pounds which I recall is a few pounds lower than my 2007. Maybe it's all the stuff like power folding 3d seat. Still works fine for my 6000 pound hybrid travel trailer.

-- Chuck

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you are new here you may not be aware of the following. It shows the payload capacity of different members Expys. It is possible to get a MAX with a payload over 1,900 lbs. But as mentioned, if you move up the trim ladder with more options the payload goes down.

AJ82...where are these spreadsheets located? I've been on the forum for quite a while and didn't know about this. I'd like to see one for 3rd gen. Thanks.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AJ82...where are these spreadsheets located? I've been on the forum for quite a while and didn't know about this. I'd like to see one for 3rd gen. Thanks.
The spreadsheet is located on Google docs not on the forum itself. That link takes you to it. If you search for "Can we talk HD Tow one more time?" you will bring up the forum topic where it was developed by a member. This sheet has one or two 3rd gens on it I believe, there is no other specific 3rd gen sheet I'm aware of but perhaps someone else is aware of one.