Loud grinding noise within seconds of start up 2005 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lindaloo

Reaction score
We purchased a new XLT 2 weeks ago and from the moment we got it, the rear air has not worked....not sure if this is related to my problem but mostly upon first start up of the day..I turn the key start her up and within seconds I get a lound metal grinding sound from the front of the engine....I was wondering if anyone new of this and the only reason I mentioned the AC is because if I turn it off it seems to resolve the issue faster than if I did not turn it off. (maybe AC clutch?) At any rate, it is intermittant so of course it will be hard to show dealer, have broken out the video recorder to record it, did call the dealer and the service advisor told me it was the truck breaking in, LOL!!!!
Tried to search TSB's for 2005 and did find a noisey AC but it did not have the whole bulletin listed for me to see if that is something that applied to mine or not (symptom wise)

Thank you, Linda

tooltown

Reaction score
It may be the air suspention system pumping up. Mine does it when I put the truck in drive or reverse. Watch the hood and see if the truck is rising up. mine goes up 2-3 inches.

ExpyBob

Reaction score
It's a common thing. My 2004 does it after it sits a while. There is talk about it on other sites. It's got something to do with the lubricant in the AC compressor loading up.

If it is this it makes a horrible metallic grunt sound when first starting the engine.

If it is air shock related turn the key to on but don't start the engine. If you hear the sound then its suspension related.

Bob

Bulldozer

Reaction score
It sounds like the A/C compressor clutch is not fully Disengaging and the clutch plate is grinding. the only way to fix it is to replace the A/C clutch. You will need a A/C clutch wrench to pull the old unit off.

E

El Mister

Same problem here!! ( 2003 expedition)

So i said what the hell and We flushed the ac system, then added the Freon and just added alot of oil. I dont know if thats good or not but it seems to be working. I dont hear the noise that much anymore. And the AC works great

Last edited by a moderator: