Loud sound screeching and burning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i started my truck and I heard a loud screeching noise while the motor runs. I popped the hood and my belt is not spinning and smoking, belt and tensioner ford oem only a few months old.... ceased pulley?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only with air conditioning on, once u turn it off it’s back to normal..... is this a DIY friendly job or mechanic job?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is just an FYI...
There are two areas that an ac compressor can fail - internally (pistons and bores) or the bearings in the housing. If the pistons are seizing small amounts of aluminum will enter the refrigerant. They will flow through the entire system lodging in the hose liners, evaporators, condenser and accumulator or receiver drier.
Most shops will flush the evap & condenser maybe even the hoses. You will not get all of it out. The repeated heat/cool cycles of use will cause the metal to release back into the refrigerant, taking out the new compressor somewhere down the road.
If you plan on replacing the compressor yourself, after the system has been recovered, inspect the orifice tube or txv for metal shavings. If it is clear, bearing seized and you are good to go, if not then total up all of the parts including hoses and make a decision on rolling the dice.
You should change the accumulator or receiver/drier every time you change compressors.

The worst part of this is having rear air....

I had a Ford Aerostar a few years back. AC had the black death & took out the entire ac system. The techs back then couldn't figure it out, changed part after part trying to keep it running.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My father has done HVAC and commercial refrigeration his whole life so hopefully I have everything I need at my disposal as he still has all his tools and equipment. Thanks for the advice stamp.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Different refrigerant on those systems but same principals. If he has a nitrogen bottle I would hit the system with that before recharging. Really dries the snot out of it. Won't have any moisture issues contaminating the r134a.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The orifice tube will tell the tale. It has a filter, so pull and inspect the screen closely. You may also be suffering from the black goo of death.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Different refrigerant on those systems but same principals. If he has a nitrogen bottle I would hit the system with that before recharging. Really dries the snot out of it. Won't have any moisture issues contaminating the r134a.
If he does commercial I'm sure he has 134a and nitrogen. I do commercial and R22, 134a and 410a are the most common refrigerants we use. Dry Nitrogen is great for helping dry the system. Replace all your components(compressor/drier/orifice tube), evacuate with your vacuum pump, sweep with nitrogen just to break the vacuum then run the vacuum again and charge.

We actually do what they call a tripple Evacuation on every system I open up. Basically pull a vac and sweep with nitro 3 times before charging.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black goo of death can’t beat money, I’ll have the entire system replaced if I have to..... not going hot lol. Anyway I’ll update soon.

Last edited: