Low engine temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been dealing with a rather low engine temperature on my 2007 for some time now. It sits around 1/4 when warm and sometimes fluctuates. So tonight I decided to replace the thermostat. Thought this would fix my problem but it didn't.
So now this brings me to my next possible issue, the temperature sensor. Do these newer vehicles use a temp sensor and gauge sendor or is it one item now?
I called advance auto parts tonight to order a new coolant temperature sensor. After doing this, I find that they dont have one but they have a cylinder head temperature sensor. Is this true or do they have both?

If they do not have an ECT, then why can I search for one at part stores?

By the way, my coolant temp is around 140 and is verified by my actron scanner.

B

bedrck46

what model actron scanner do you have?
What was the temp rating of the new t/stat
is the coolant tank cap fully closed

B

bedrck46

The engine does not reach normal operating temperature

Low coolant level
Thermostat
Mechanical fan clutch always engaged
Electric cooling fan always on
Engine coolant temperature indicator system (gauge)
ECT sensor (if equipped)
CHT sensor (if equipped

looking at the wiring diagrams it appears you do not have the ECT sensor

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Autoscanner Plus

The temperature is the same before and after the t-stat change.

Coolant level is full

Also getting a P0128 code.

Does not have an electric cooling fan

B

bedrck46

P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
Description: Indicates that the thermostat monitor has not achieved the required engine operating temperature within a specified amount of time after starting the engine.
Possible Causes: Insufficient warm up time
Low engine coolant level
Leaking or stuck open thermostat
Inoperative engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
Inoperative cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor

You may want to check the wiring to make sure all connections are clean and tight

B

bedrck46

Not to insult you. Are you sure that the new stat was installed properly?

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you referring to checking the wiring to the cylinder head sensor? I see this is under the intake. Would almost have to remove intake to check connection.

Attachments

• IMG_20140620_190700nopm.jpg
    IMG_20140620_190700nopm.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20140620_202804nopm.jpg
    IMG_20140620_202804nopm.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 37
B

bedrck46

The scanner would be reading the temp that is being sent by the pcm to the inst panel.

if the sensor is bad and not sending the correct temp to the pcm then that could be the problem

when running check the upper rad hose to see how hot it gets and also see if you can feel water flowing.

you may also want to check the upper hose first thing in the morning or when the engine is cold to see if water is flowing thru the hose

B

bedrck46

that was the wiring I was referring to. If you do need to replace the CHT then you will need to remove the intake

B

bedrck46

looking at the pic of you gauge that appears to be around 140 deg I also have a actron scanner and I also use a Bluetooth obdII device with the torque pro app for android The attached was taken in the winter with a cold ambient temp

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slyce8311