Major Electronics Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bridgerider

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum Max with less than 1,200 miles on it, first owner, purchased new.

Occasionally when I am driving, the entire digital instrument cluster will go blank, the entertainment/navigation screen will go blank and most of the vehicle's electronic controls will become inoperable (wipers, indicators, hazard lights, windows, sunroof, climate control, etc). The vehicle will keep driving and the headlights stay on (phew!)

My local dealer had it for three days but could not replicate the issue. Customer service at ford.com are no help either. Obviously the vehicle is unsafe to drive in this condition so I want to resolve this ASAP. This glitch has happened 6-8 times so far, usually within about 10 minutes of starting the vehicle, although once it happened upon ignition. In all cases, the electronics rebooted in 15-20 minutes and left behind the wrench icon, the check engine light and several other error messages. The power running boards are reset to Off when the electronics reboot, but everything else looks to be reset to defaults.

The first couple of times it happened it first threw a BLIS error before everything turned off, but in the latest instance the electronics were malfunctioning immediately upon ignition.

I do use a battery maintainer between drives as the vehicle does sit idle for a few days at a time, but my voltmeter has the battery right around 12V, so I do not think this is this issue (although I am open to suggestions). The dealer did not use a battery maintainer between drives. I have tried two separate battery maintainers that have been used on another vehicle with no issues.

I also have a dashcam installed, but it was in the vehicle while at the dealer, yet they could not replicate the problem.

It has happened in colder, wet weather (at least be CA standards) and in warm sunny weather. It has happened while driving on smooth highway asphalt and on crummy side roads. I cannot pinpoint any particular environmental conditions that have been present in each instance.

Help?!

Adam Huskins

Reaction score
Mine has done it a couple of times, usually right after start. I would make sure to video the situation if safely possible while driving. Then show that to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bridgerider

Reaction score
Mine has done it a couple of times, usually right after start. I would make sure to video the situation if safely possible while driving. Then show that to the dealer.

Yes, the dealer has a video, but they say they need to replicate it, but they claim they could not! So here I am ...

OP
OP
B

bridgerider

Reaction score

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I see no direct correlation to the battery maintainer, why not just eliminate that from the equation by stop using it. Modern smart charging technology is extremely in-depth, so I won't try to act like I understand it because I don't.

Its likely a stretch, but perhaps your (needless) trickle charging is causing some confusion and although unexpected, the blacking out cluster could be a consequence.

FWIW, I have a few cars that don't get driven for days (sometimes weeks) as well - Expedition included. I see value in maintainers on boats/aircraft batteries, but not on my vehicles.

Good luck no less.

OP
OP
B

bridgerider

Reaction score
While I see no direct correlation to the battery maintainer, why not just eliminate that from the equation by stop using it. Modern smart charging technology is extremely in-depth, so I won't try to act like I understand it because I don't.

Its likely a stretch, but perhaps your (needless) trickle charging is causing some confusion and although unexpected, the blacking out cluster could be a consequence.

FWIW, I have a few cars that don't get driven for days (sometimes weeks) as well - Expedition included. I see value in maintainers on boats/aircraft batteries, but not on my vehicles.

Good luck no less.

Thanks, I've taken off the maintainer and will see if that helps over the next several weeks.

Adam Huskins

Reaction score
Yep, mine gets parked at the airport for 18 days a month. Sometimes more. No problems with the battery.

OP
OP
B

bridgerider

Reaction score
Taking off the maintainer makes no difference. I'm keeping a detailed log now. I did get a new error on the screen during the last incident, it said "Vehicle Network Communication Error" on the map screen. Still intermittent, happened once in 16 drives over about 300 miles.

Plati

Reaction score
Man ... If it was me the dealer would have that new vehicle back and I either get a replacement or my money back and my buddy the expensive lawyer would be taking them to court if not. Are there not any lemon laws in Cally?

Maybe you could protest out front or hire a Moose "fixer" to show up with you for the "discussion".

Is there an escalation process to Ford? Can you and or dealer (both) be calling the regional rep or company contact? Can the dealer drive it until it happens? Email and write letters to Ford CEO?

Last edited: