marbles in a can noise coming from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Alvarez

Reaction score
I have a 1999 ford expedition 5.4 eddie bauer and there is a marbles in a can noise coming from my engine bay. The truck has the original 109,000 miles on the engine and has not had any major repairs. The marbles in a can sound comes on when I start it up and continues on whether the vehicle is idling or in motion and does not increase when revving the engine. I have heard many things such as a timing built, vacuum leak, torque converter, and heatshields being the culprits. I am on here looking to see if anyone has had this experience before.

I am also asking about a separate issue I was having with this vehicle. At around 35-45MPH the whole vehicle would shudder and then continue on normally. I added something call shudder fix to the trans stick and it completely removed the shudder. I know this is a temporary fix, so what could it be?