Marbles in a can noise comming from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Juan Alvarez

Reaction score
Checked all of that and it’s clear. No oil leaks and everything is good condition considering the year of the truck.

OP
OP
J

Juan Alvarez

Reaction score
I have been doing some more digging and I found that the noise sounds like it may be coming from closer to the firewall and it’s definitely not a rattle or a slap.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I have been doing some more digging and I found that the noise sounds like it may be coming from closer to the firewall and it’s definitely not a rattle or a slap.

I honestly hope you're not true about that thought, cause if you are I'd much rather start looking for a new motor if I was you.... theres nothing back there but valves and pistons

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You know what, why dont you go to autozone and rent the piston compression tool, then test all 8 cylinders and report back your findings.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Better to know if you have a dead cylinder now before digging into the timing cover.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Juan Alvarez

Reaction score
I finally figured out what the problem is...I have a bad flex plate. If you have time and youre interested, youtube the following video: Diagnose knocking noise-cracked flex plate. This is the exact same sound my truck is making. I knew I had to replace the torque converter but I knew it wasn't the torque converter making that noise. I at least can rest easy knowing I don't have to replace the timing chain for now. Either way, I want to thank everyone for the advice and suggestions.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good deal. That's much easier and cheaper to do. Let's us know how it turns out. You thought the noise was coming from the front? Glad you narrowed it down. Flex plates crack, and cause a god awful racket. Pull your tranny back, should be an obvious crack on the plate.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
FTI, my 8yr old serpentine belt, made a chirp noise, when damp/rain/car wash.