master cylinder failure at 52k miles??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Time will tell, but Jeff's right it's probably a fluke. One of those master cylinders made on a Friday. Guy was thinking about the weekend!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hoping it is a fluke as well.
But it is concerning that it is the same failure that the was recalled for the F150.

While the seals in MC is the point of failure according to Ford.
The brake boosters are same in both applications.
Is it possible that the pressures held within the brake booster are improper and the brake booster is actually causing the issue?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the issue may lay but my truck came with higher-than-expected braking effort required and has gradually changed, longer pedal travel as the caliper pistons recede further into the cylinder bores but I always "felt" like there was a skosh of air left in the system when it was installed. Not bad, but noticeable to me.

jeff

TC16XLT

Reaction score
Not to fuel the fire, but I just had mine replaced in my '16 last week, at about 52,500 miles. Rear seal pushed all of the fluid into the booster. Repair place was freaked out trying to figure out where the fluid was, and no visible leak.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not much of a repair shop if they didn't know to look inside the booster. That's one of the first things I was taught diagnosing brakes. Oh these kids nowadays!

TC16XLT

Reaction score
Haha!
Well, they ended up being substantially less expensive than the dealer, and ended up just south of $400. They said I might need to replace the booster someday, if the fluid ended up ruining the diaphragm in it. Time will tell.
That's not much of a repair shop if they didn't know to look inside the booster. That's one of the first things I was taught diagnosing brakes. Oh these kids nowadays!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk