Mechanical sound on 4A mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gabkhach

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the following:

I just bought a 2020 limited max with 2-speed automatic 4WD and the heavy-duty towing package. Love the truck and everything about it, but there is something that bothers me. When I shift to 4A there is some kind of noise coming from underneath the vehicle. I don't know whether to call it rattling, humming, or some other kind of mechanical noise, but it only happens when the drivetrain is under load. As soon as I take my foot off of the gas the noise is gone. The speed doesn't make any difference, the noise is a bit louder right at the moment when I apply more throttle, but otherwise it is constantly there as long as my foot is on the gas (while accelerating it gets a bit louder and is more pronounced). I'm guessing it's something that has to do with the transfer case, the front end, or the front shaft. Perhaps some bad barring or something like that.

I took it back to the dealership and asked them to take a listen. They of course came back and said that the mechanic can't replicate it, and asked me to go on a ride with the mechanic to better explain the situation. While driving with the guy in the passenger seat I managed to get him on the same page with me and he agreed that it should be investigated and got an appointment to take it in. However, I do have to drive an hour both way to get there and back, and also I am not sure I want them to open anything up or not. So, I wanted to get an opinion here, whether anyone has had this issue, or has heard of something like this. I tried to search the web and this forum, but nothing came up to match my description.

Thanks ahead.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’re always going to have a very light noise when in 4A but it’s just the mechanicals of the additional axle turning.

If it’s a loud grinding noise, it could be this:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171859-0001.pdf

But I don’t think that would happen when in 4A as it’s related to the vehicle trying to disengage the front hubs and being unable to do so. And again, it’s a pretty loud grinding noise followed by a thunk.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I just bought a 2020 limited max with 2-speed automatic 4WD and the heavy-duty towing package. Love the truck and everything about it, but there is something that bothers me. When I shift to 4A there is some kind of noise coming from underneath the vehicle. I don't know whether to call it rattling, humming, or some other kind of mechanical noise, but it only happens when the drivetrain is under load. As soon as I take my foot off of the gas the noise is gone. The speed doesn't make any difference, the noise is a bit louder right at the moment when I apply more throttle, but otherwise it is constantly there as long as my foot is on the gas (while accelerating it gets a bit louder and is more pronounced). I'm guessing it's something that has to do with the transfer case, the front end, or the front shaft. Perhaps some bad barring or something like that.

I took it back to the dealership and asked them to take a listen. They of course came back and said that the mechanic can't replicate it, and asked me to go on a ride with the mechanic to better explain the situation. While driving with the guy in the passenger seat I managed to get him on the same page with me and he agreed that it should be investigated and got an appointment to take it in. However, I do have to drive an hour both way to get there and back, and also I am not sure I want them to open anything up or not. So, I wanted to get an opinion here, whether anyone has had this issue, or has heard of something like this. I tried to search the web and this forum, but nothing came up to match my description.

Thanks ahead.

The 4A mode has a swooshing sound (like air hissing) as you accelerate that goes away off throttle. This is normal and I heard it in many newer Fords with 4A (Expedition, Explorers, F-150).

Plati

Reaction score
When I bought my 2003 ... new ... it had something like that. I worked with the Dealer on multiple service appointments over the following 2 years and 25K miles to ultimately get it resolved. Not saying it's the same thing just keep working with the Dealer until it's 100%.

They replaced clutches in rear diff once. Another time replaced bearings in front diff (they were pitted). Then they found problems with Transfer Case (full of metal) and replaced that.

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I to get the same sound, and it’s a bit more prominent after the lift kit install. I think it’s a combo of more fuel pump demand / draw (whistle / whine), the front shafts rotating (mechanical rotation noise), transfer case engagement and more engine load (more rotation gears and parts involved).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a recall on the IWE's. They fail non stop and grind and almost sounds like soda cans rattling at slow speeds.

Altalian

Reaction score

Thanks ahead.
What was the final fix on this. I just joined the forum because I have the same grinding problem from the front axle in 4A. 3 trips to dealer and they tell me it's just how it's built, but I'm having a hard time with that answer because of the price tag.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I started to Have this weird humming noise from 4A mode that was not there initially.
I have number of issues and every issue I search on this forum leads to IWE.