Miss fire and cracked throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey I’m new to this and I just wanted to ask what I should get first to try to fix my 5.4 expy.should I get new spark plugs first and then get the throttle body when I have more money or should the throttle body be my main priority?
It has over 230,000 miles and it is my first vehicle.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the throttle body is cracked then I’d for sure replace it first. You already know that’s a broken part. Do you even know how many miles are on the plugs? Welcome to the forum.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, pics would help a ton, and I would trust Ham's (plus other's) recommendations. They do appear very knowledgeable and willing to assist with a 'cure'.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
I can’t get a pic because my brother is driving it but the crack is on the bottom right and I don’t know how many miles on the spark plug but probably a lot because it was my brothers but he never did any maintenance on it unless we reminded him

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jose. What part of TX? I know a great indy shop I have used for 5 years. Let me know if you are close to Houston, just in case you need a shop to review.

Jeez - this shop knocked out a strut replacement in 15 minutes for another client's car. And they have great rates.

Jeff G

Reaction score
If you are mechanically inclined and money is an issue, spark plugs are only 40 bucks if you replace them yourself. You could then get a decent throttle body from a salvage yard for under 30 dollars and clean it and install it. Unfortunately with the 5.4, if you pay someone else to do it it gets expensive quickly.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully the throttle body hasn’t been ingesting dirty air through the crack into the engine. Is it a hairline crack or a open crack/chip in the body?

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
It is a open crack I’ll try to look for a throttle body at a salvage yard and If I can’t find one I’ll try to get a new one but thanks for everybody’s help

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a open crack I’ll try to look for a throttle body at a salvage yard and If I can’t find one I’ll try to get a new one but thanks for everybody’s help
That for sure will be $$ well spent as long as the engine still has life left in it. Does it smoke bad and use a lot of oil? If it been ingesting a lot of dirt then unfortunately it might be time for a good used engine.