mufflers ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HFFH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cpl of questions, is there that big of a difference in after market mufflers vs the stock? and wuts the difference in a cat back system vs just putting a muffler in place? do you actualy knotice a difference in power or just sound?

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Difference in power, a little bit yeah. Depending on which kind you get. Flowmaster and magnaflow are most common. Personal choice on either one for the sound. The muffler give you exhuast its tone. And a all new cat back system is good due to new metal and nicer welds. But welding in just a muffler is good too. Hope this hepled. :D

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a cat back system is just that. from the cats back. makes sence. i have a "y back" system. dont know what its call. all stock up untill the y pipe then 3" pipe to the tail. no tip. and a bullet performance muffler. i love it. its loud with out the tip. ive seen trucks that have tips and its not even as loud as mine. and i have a single pipe. im going to go back to the place i went to and get a true set up from the cats with x pipe and have it dump before the rear axle. thinking have it just dump with out exiting. dont know yet. but yes there is a performance difference. if you look at your exhaust there is a BIG muffler and a little muffler at the tail. thats the resonator. it cancels out sound. makes the exhaust quiet. so you have to delete that and put in a new muffler. itll help but bigger pipe for single it the way to go.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muffler by itself will be mostly for sound. A catback will give you some gains, but nothing I'd write home about. I do hear you'll loose some low end torque with some catbacks, making up for it in the upper RPMs with HP.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cpl of questions, is there that big of a difference in after market mufflers vs the stock? and wuts the difference in a cat back system vs just putting a muffler in place? do you actualy knotice a difference in power or just sound?

If your looking for numbers to compare check this out.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...ler_comparison_test/muffler_dyno_numbers.html

as far as sound yes there is a difference. I went with magnaflow becuase i was tired of the flow-master drone. I put up with enough noise at work. The Maggy will rumble when kicked but is not in your ear all the time.

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a cat back system is just that. from the cats back. makes sence. i have a "y back" system. dont know what its call. all stock up untill the y pipe then 3" pipe to the tail. no tip. and a bullet performance muffler. i love it. its loud with out the tip. ive seen trucks that have tips and its not even as loud as mine. and i have a single pipe. im going to go back to the place i went to and get a true set up from the cats with x pipe and have it dump before the rear axle. thinking have it just dump with out exiting. dont know yet. but yes there is a performance difference. if you look at your exhaust there is a BIG muffler and a little muffler at the tail. thats the resonator. it cancels out sound. makes the exhaust quiet. so you have to delete that and put in a new muffler. itll help but bigger pipe for single it the way to go.

Oh, well my expo came stock withthat huge muffler but i dont have that resonator at the end but i've seen them on a lot of expo's. Did they only come with a certain package?

expo.jpg
2000 4x2 xlt 4.6L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT