Multiple failures at one time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

efaubert1

Reaction score
I have an 02 XLT AWD/4x4. It has been a daily driver for 8 years with 230k on it. It began with random misfire according to OBD and flashing SE light. I checked all the normal electrical and catalytic converter. Cleared code, the P0305. Back to garage, noid light on it, no power from ECM and truck wouldn’t start, just crank. Tried connecting to the OBD and got a link error. Checked battery, replaced battery. It will crank, no power from ECM to COP’s at all, still had link error to scanner. Checked for ground fault (pulled - terminal an Hooke test light between terminal and post to see if it blinked) and every fuse checked. No luck so far. Any thoughts? Have I lost the ECM?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your security light in the cluster "THEFT" flashing oddly when you put the key in or try to start ?

OP
OP
E

efaubert1

Reaction score
No, the theft light is not coming on and I don’t have the chirp you normally get that goes along with it. That was the first thing my Ford dealer asked. They said they can’t get it in for 2 weeks, and I can’t wait that long. Now, before I replaced the bad battery it did do the theft flash and chirping

OP
OP
E

efaubert1

Reaction score
Well, I have checked the OBD plug and verified I have 12 volts, reconnected the scan tool and still get the link error. Tried it again and now the theft light is flashing and the theft chirping is active. I just disconnected the battery to try and reset it. I only have one key, and have only had that key since I bought it 8 years ago. I am at a loss at this point. Anyone know a good shop for electrical in the Huntington/Fort Wayne, IN area?

Kevmobile

Reaction score
Have a new key made. Get 2 made for the hell of it. It is very rare that the ECM will fail on these. If anyrhing it would be your GEM that would fail. I got my keys from carandtruckremotes. They have OEM Strattec keys available for a good price. My Ford dealer even cut them for free. I would also invest in a Forscan compatible link. This will allow you to talk more closely with the vehicle.

I would suspect this to be a grounding issue if anything. Check your grounds, clean them up.

BTW- did you ever get your 4x4 working?